Trewsbury (Coatesfield) Bridge

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1463601
Date first listed:
09-Apr-2019
Location Description:
At NGR SO 97911 00033, near Trewsbury House

Map

Ordnance survey map of Trewsbury (Coatesfield) Bridge
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1463601 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2019 at 19:40:50.

Location

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Location Description:
At NGR SO 97911 00033, near Trewsbury House
County:
Gloucestershire
District:
Cotswold (District Authority)
Parish:
Coates
National Grid Reference:
SO9791100033

Summary

An accommodation bridge over the Thames and Severn Canal, built in about 1785.

Reasons for Designation

Trewsbury (or Coatesfield Bridge), an accommodation bridge of about 1785 over the Thames and Severn Canal, is listed at Grade II, for the following principal reasons:

Architectural interest: * as a Thames and Severn canal bridge, well-built in stone rather than the more usual brick, which survives in good condition with only very little brick patching;

Historic interest: * as a structure on this important late-C18 canal forming a significant link, with the Stroudwater Navigation, from the River Thames in Oxfordshire to the River Severn in Gloucestershire;

Group value: * with the many other listed canal structures along this stretch of the canal between Sapperton Tunnel and the Thames Head.

History

The Stroudwater Navigation, built in 1775-9, was designed to link the River Severn at Framilode to Stroud, allowing coal to be brought from Shropshire, Staffordshire and the Forest of Dean to the textile mills of the Stroud valleys. The Thames and Severn Canal, constructed in 1783-9, was designed to run eastwards from Stroud, eventually linking the River Severn to the River Thames at Inglesham, near Lechlade-on-Thames. The Cotswold Canals, as they are also known, were generally successful, though the Thames and Severn in particular suffered serious technical failings which compromised its profitability. Despite this, both canals continued in use well into the C20.

Trewsbury or Coatesfield Bridge was built on the Thames and Severn Canal in about 1785: it lies on a stretch of canal, east of the Sapperton Tunnel, which was completed between 1785 and 1788. This bridge was constructed from limestone, rather than the more usual brick, to a standard Thames and Severn Canal Company design.

Details

An accommodation bridge over the Thames and Severn Canal, built in about 1785.

MATERIALS Limestone.

DESCRIPTION A standard Thames and Severn canal company accommodation bridge. The bridge has a single, segmental-arched opening springing from wedge-shaped stone springers, without a dripmould. The wing walls are built with an inward batter, and curve outwards from the arch to end in pilaster terminals. Because of the narrow-waisted and battered shape of the bridge, the voussoirs of the arch step in slightly. The parapet is contiguous with that of the wing walls and spandrels rather than being of a separate construction. The parapet is level over the arch and then slopes gently down in a straight line on either side to the ends of the wing walls; it is topped by a plain stone coping. There is a small amount of brick patching to the interior of the arch.

Sources

Books and journals
Viner, D, The Thames and Severn Canal: History and Guide, (2002), 57, 116
Other
Cotswold Archaeology: Cotswold Canals Restoration Project - Heritage Survey (2003)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].