Parish Boundary Stone, Broseley Lane

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1464173
Date first listed:
16-Aug-2019
Location Description:
On the west side of Broseley Lane (B5207), Culcheth, Warrington, approximately 42.5m north-west of the junction with Broseley Avenue.
Statutory Address:
Broseley Lane, Culcheth, Warrington, WA3 4BG

Map

Ordnance survey map of Parish Boundary Stone, Broseley Lane
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1464173 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2019 at 19:10:16.

Location

Statutory Address:
Broseley Lane, Culcheth, Warrington, WA3 4BG

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Location Description:
On the west side of Broseley Lane (B5207), Culcheth, Warrington, approximately 42.5m north-west of the junction with Broseley Avenue.
District:
Warrington (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Culcheth and Glazebury
National Grid Reference:
SJ6467395863

Summary

Boundary Stone, early C19 or earlier.

Reasons for Designation

The Parish Boundary Stone, Broseley Lane, Culcheth, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Architectural Interest: * it dates to the early C19 or earlier and there is a general presumption that all surviving pre-1850 parish boundary stones should be listed;

* it survives intact in its original position, with a legible inscription, and includes a non-vertical bench mark that adds to its special interest.

Historic Interest: * the stone is a tangible reminder of the delineation of the limits of parochial jurisdiction during the early C19.

History

The boundary stone is considered to be at least early C19 in date, and to mark the parish boundary between Kenyon and Culcheth, which followed the course of the now culverted Jibcroft Brook. It is depicted on the first edition 1:10,560 Ordnance Survey map, surveyed between 1845 and 1847, and continues to be shown on later editions in the same position as today. The parish boundary was originally marked along its length by a number of boundary stones and posts, of which at least one other is known to survive, situated in a wall adjacent to Boundary Cottages, Wigshaw Lane. The boundary stone was also used as an Ordnance Survey bench mark and is depicted as such on the 1893 1:2,500 Ordnance Survey map. The stone has suffered some minor damage from mowing machines.

Details

Boundary Stone, early C19 or earlier.

MATERIALS: sandstone, painted.

DESCRIPTION: the boundary stone is set on the west verge of Broseley Lane. It has a similar appearance to a small milestone, standing approximately 0.35m high, with a triangular section and a flat top. The latter is inscribed with a non-vertical bench mark symbol. The rear panel is plain, the southern panel is inscribed: BOUN/ CULCHETH and the northern panel is inscribed DARY/ KENYON; the inscription BOUN and DARY forming the word: BOUNDARY. The stone is painted white and all lettering is black.

Sources

Websites
Geograph - SJ6494: Cut Mark Boundary Stone Wigshaw Lane, accessed 18 April 2019 from https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4726854

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].