Nether Broughton War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1464517
Date first listed:
05-Aug-2019
Statutory Address:
Churchyard of St Mary, Church End, Nether Broughton, Leicestershire, LE14 3ET

Map

Ordnance survey map of Nether Broughton War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1464517 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2019 at 21:37:35.

Location

Statutory Address:
Churchyard of St Mary, Church End, Nether Broughton, Leicestershire, LE14 3ET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Leicestershire
District:
Melton (District Authority)
Parish:
Broughton and Old Dalby
National Grid Reference:
SK6959626170

Summary

A war memorial cross of 1920 date constructed of red Peterhead granite.

Reasons for Designation

Nether Broughton War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* it is an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* it is a well-detailed war memorial in the form of a wheel cross in red granite.

Group value:

* it has group value with the Church of St Mary (listed at Grade II*) and The Old Rectory and a chest tomb (both Grade II).

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Nether Broughton as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War. It takes the form of a traditional cross, and was made by Messrs Squires, of Bingham. It was unveiled on Sunday 31 October 1920 by Mr CJ Phillips, JP, of Old Dalby Hall and dedicated by the rector, the Reverend EG Watts. The memorial lettering was restored in 2017.

Details

A war memorial of 1920 date.

MATERIALS: constructed of red Peterhead granite.

DESCRIPTION: comprising a polished red granite wheel cross with floriated terminals to arms, on a collared, tapering, square-sectioned shaft. The cross shaft surmounts a slightly tapering square-sectioned pedestal with moulded capstone forming pediments over each face, and which has a projecting foot, which finally sits above a two-tiered square base. The pedestal bears the inscriptions in incised lettering.

The inscription is incised with black lettering and reads: 1914 – 1918/ TO THE GLORY OF GOD/ AND IN HONOURED MEMORY/ OF THE MEN OF THIS PARISH/ WHO LAID DOWN THEIR LIVES/ IN THE GREAT WAR./ (NAMES)/ "GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN THAN THIS, THAT/ A MAN LAY DOWN HIS LIFE FOR HIS FRIENDS."

Sources

Websites
Memorial Cross, St Mary's Churchyard - Nether Broughton, accessed 24 May 2019 from http://www.leicestershirewarmemorials.co.uk/war/memorials/view/840
UK National Inventory of War Memorials - Nether Broughton, accessed 24 May 2019 from https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/37795
War Memorials Online - Nether Broughton, accessed 24 May 2019 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/157935/
Other
Melton Mowbray Times, 05 November 1920, p3, ‘Nether Broughton: War Memorial Unveiled.’

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].