Marsham War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1464599
Date first listed:
04-Jul-2019
Statutory Address:
Churchyard of All Saints' Church, Church Lane, Marsham, Norfolk, NR10 5RB

Map

Ordnance survey map of Marsham War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1464599 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2019 at 19:13:13.

Location

Statutory Address:
Churchyard of All Saints' Church, Church Lane, Marsham, Norfolk, NR10 5RB

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
Broadland (District Authority)
Parish:
Marsham
National Grid Reference:
TG1968923693

Summary

A First World War memorial, erected in about 1920; further names added after the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

The war memorial in Marsham is listed at Grade II, for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the church’s community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* for its design, a simple but dignified wheel head cross.

Group value:

* with the Church of All Saints (Grade II), in whose churchyard it stands.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead: therefore the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

One such memorial was raised at Marsham as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the 17 members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War. It was altered after the Second World War to include the names of six servicemen who died in that conflict.

In the early C21, a polished granite plaque was installed at the foot of the memorial, replicating the inscriptions.

Details

A First World War memorial, erected in about 1920; further names added after the Second World War.

MATERIALS Granite.

DESCRIPTION The memorial, approximately 3.3m tall, takes the form of a roughly-hewn wheel-head cross with a tapering shaft, rising from a square plinth, set on a single-stepped square platform. The plinth is inscribed: IN MEMORY OF THOSE WHO FELL IN BATTLE/ 1914 1918/ (NAMES)/ 1939 - 1945/ (NAMES)/ LEST WE FORGET. This is replicated on the separate, upright plaque installed at the foot of the memorial.

Sources

Websites
Imperial War Museum War Memorials Register: Marsham War Memorial, accessed 17.05.19 from https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/19697

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].