Yaxham War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1464650
Date first listed:
11-Jul-2019
Statutory Address:
St Peter's Churchyard, Church Lane, Yaxham, Norfolk, NR19 1RQ

Map

Ordnance survey map of Yaxham War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1464650 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2019 at 02:06:43.

Location

Statutory Address:
St Peter's Churchyard, Church Lane, Yaxham, Norfolk, NR19 1RQ

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
Breckland (District Authority)
Parish:
Yaxham
National Grid Reference:
TG0072510674

Summary

A First World War memorial dating from 1919, altered following the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

Yaxham War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Architectural interest:

* the memorial is a dignified and sombre stone cross, neatly made and well-proportioned.

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact on the local community of the events of the First World War.

Group value:

* it has strong group value with the Grade I listed Church of St Peter and the Grade II listed Table Tomb in the churchyard.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead. This meant that war memorials provided the main focus for the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Yaxham, as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.

The war memorial at Yaxham was designed by Mr WG Horseman of Southampton, and erected by Messrs Bowman and Sons of Stamford at a cost of £154. The memorial was located in a new extension to the churchyard, which was dedicated at the same time. This took place on Sunday 21 September 1919 and was conducted by the Bishop of Thetford.

The war memorial was altered following the Second World War to commemorate the losses of that conflict.

Details

A First World War memorial dating from 1919, altered following the Second World War.

MATERIALS: the memorial is constructed of Clipsham stone.

DESCRIPTION: the memorial stands in the south-west corner of the churchyard of St Peter's Chuch. It stands at 16 feet tall and is a carved stone cross under a stone hood. This stands atop an hexagonal shaft which tapers towards the base where it is supported on a plinth which itself sits atop a three-stepped base. The plinth bears the inscriptions in incised lettering.

The inscription reads: A THANKOFFERING/ FOR VICTORY/ AND IN MEMORY/ OF THE BRAVE MEN/ FROM THIS PARISH/ WHO IN THE GREAT WAR 1914 - 1918/ GAVE THEIR LIVES FOR ENGLAND/ MAY THEY REST IN PEACE/ (NAMES)/ ALSO OF/ (NAMES)/ 1939 - 1945.

Sources

Websites
Imperial War Museum Inventory reference 19884, accessed 20 May 2019 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/19884
War Memorials Online reference 235249, accessed 20 May 2019 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/235249/
Other
Thetford & Watton Times and People's Weekly Journal - Saturday 27 September 1919, p6 ‘Yaxham War Memorial: Dedication Ceremony.’

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].