Aldershot Cenotaph

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1464695
Date first listed:
22-Jul-2019
Statutory Address:
Municipal Gardens, Grosvenor Road, Aldershot, GU11 1DP

Map

Ordnance survey map of Aldershot Cenotaph
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1464695 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2019 at 19:07:04.

Location

Statutory Address:
Municipal Gardens, Grosvenor Road, Aldershot, GU11 1DP

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hampshire
District:
Rushmoor (District Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SU8613150561

Summary

Cenotaph formed of Cornish granite, consisting of a large base with three steps and plinth surmounted by a cenotaph in the form of a pylon.

Reasons for Designation

Aldershot Cenotaph, which stands within the formal landscaped area of the Municipal Gardens, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* as an elegantly-proportioned cenotaph.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw an unprecedented wave of public commemoration with tens of thousands of memorials erected across the country, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Aldershot within the Municipal Gardens, as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lose their lives in the First World War.

The Municipal Gardens were laid out on land purchased by the Town Council from the Church between 1894 and 1898 and opened to the public in 1904. The gardens were laid out as green open space and trees, with parterres and a fountain in the south-east corner.

The Aldershot Cenotaph was unveiled by Prince Henry, Duke of Gloucester on 18 March 1925 and dedicated by Frank Woods the Bishop of Winchester. It was erected within the parterre area of the garden and was initially flanked by two captured German and Turkish field guns, which were removed during the Second World War.

A further inscription was added in 1950 to commemorate those who died in the Second World War.

At some point after the Second World War, a further two flights of steps were added, leading towards the cenotaph and combining to form a processional route.

The parterre garden and fountain were restored as part of a wider restoration of the Municipal Gardens in 2000.

Details

A war memorial in the form of a cenotaph erected in 1925. It stands within the formal landscaped area of the Municipal Gardens and is surrounded by parterre planting and a fountain.

MATERIALS: the monument is formed of Cornish granite.

DESCRIPTION: the monument consists of a large, rectangular platform approached by three steps on its south-eastern side. The central plinth is surmounted by a cenotaph in the form of a pylon. It is surrounded by a series of decorative metal bollards linked by a chain. On the front (south-eastern) face of the pylon is a cross in relief. Underneath this is a brass plaque commemorating those who died in both world wars. This reads BOROUGH OF ALDERSHOT / THIS MEMORIAL WAS ERECTED IN GRATEFUL MEMORY / TO THOSE WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES FOR THEIR COUNTRY / IN THE GREAT WAR 1914-1919, / AND IN THE WORLD WAR 1939-1945. The plaque appears to be a later replacement.

Sources

Books and journals
Vickers, P (Author), Aldershot Through Time, (2013)
Websites
Imperial War Museum , accessed 23 May 2019 from https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/21471
Rushmoor Borough Council website, accessed 23 May 2019 from https://www.rushmoor.gov.uk/article/3111/Municipal-Gardens-and-play-area
War Memorials Online, accessed 23 May 2019 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/102603/

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].