East Cowes War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1464880
Date first listed:
13-Sep-2019
Statutory Address:
Church of St James, Church Path, East Cowes, Isle of Wight, PO32 6RL

Map

Ordnance survey map of East Cowes War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1464880.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2019 at 19:31:49.

Location

Statutory Address:
Church of St James, Church Path, East Cowes, Isle of Wight, PO32 6RL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Isle of Wight (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
East Cowes
National Grid Reference:
SZ5044095620

Summary

A First World War memorial of 1920, with later inscriptions from the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

East Cowes War Memorial, which stands in the churchyard of the Church of St James, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:   Historic interest:   * as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.   Architectural interest:   * a well-crafted, wheel-headed, First World War memorial with later Second World War inscriptions.   Group value:   * with the adjacent Church of St James, and its wall and gate piers, both listed at Grade II.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. One such memorial was raised in East Cowes in 1920, as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by 58 servicemen from the local community, who lost their lives in the First World War. It was unveiled by Field Marshal Lord Gort (1886-1946), who was awarded the Victoria Cross during this conflict, and later commanded the British Expeditionary Force during the Second World War, including the Dunkirk evacuation.

The memorial was re-dedicated on 17 September 1950, after a further inscription was added commemorating the sacrifice made by 29 servicemen from the local community, who lost their lives in the Second World War. The ceremony was attended by Brigadier S J L Hill (1911-2006), who commanded the 3rd Parachute Brigade, during the Second World War.



Details

A First World War memorial of 1920, with later inscriptions from the Second World War.   MATERIALS: granite.

DESCRIPTION: the memorial faces south-east and is located within the churchyard of the Church of St James, East Cowes. It takes the form of a granite wheel-head cross with a tapered shaft on a rough-hewn, granite base with sloping sides. A recessed panel on the front face of the plinth reads: ‘ TO THE GLORY OF GOD/ AND IN MEMORY OF THE MEN/ FROM THIS PARISH/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES FOR KING AND COUNTRY/ IN THE GREAT WAR 1914 – 1919/ AND THE WORLD WAR 1939 – 1945/ GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN THIS/ THAT A MAN LAY DOWN HIS LIFE FOR HIS FRIENDS’. The names of those who fell in the First World War are inscribed on recessed panels on the sides of the plinth while the names of those from the Second World War are inscribed on a recessed panel within a wedge-shaped stone, which is attached to the front face of the plinth.





Sources

Websites
Imperial War Museum, accessed 30 May 2019 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/21795
IOW memorials, accessed 30 May 2019 from www.isle-of-wight-memorials.org.uk/towns/eastcowes.htm
War Memorials Online asset WM10757 , accessed 30/5/2019 from http://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/node/214817

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].