Bagworth War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1464881
Date first listed:
05-Aug-2019
Statutory Address:
Holy Rood Church (demolished), Old School Lane, Bagworth, Leicestershire, LE67 1DE

Map

Ordnance survey map of Bagworth War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1464881 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2019 at 01:28:08.

Location

Statutory Address:
Holy Rood Church (demolished), Old School Lane, Bagworth, Leicestershire, LE67 1DE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Leicestershire
District:
Hinckley and Bosworth (District Authority)
Parish:
Bagworth & Thornton
National Grid Reference:
SK4494307946

Summary

A First World War Memorial dating from around 1920, altered following the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

The war memorial in Bagworth is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Architectural interest:

* it is a dignified and sombre stone cross, neatly made and well-proportioned.

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact on the local community of the events of the First World War.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead. This meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Bagworth, as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.

The memorial was presumably erected around 1920, in the churchyard of Holy Rood Church. The church was demolished in 1968 due to subsidence, and was replaced with a new building, also since demolished.

The memorial commemorates 18 local servicemen who fell in the First World War. It was altered following the Second World War to commemorate the eight men and one woman who fell in that conflict.

Details

A First World War Memorial dating from around 1920, altered following the Second World War.

MATERIALS: the memorial is constructed of stone with bronze plaques.

DESCRIPTION: the memorial stands in the churchyard of the now-demolished Holy Rood Church. It is situated near to the entrance from Old School Lane, and stands on the platform of a former terrace to the church.

The memorial comprises a plain Latin cross in stone, with chamfered edges throughout, and a relief-carved shield of St George to the centre of the tapering shaft. The shaft stands on a low eight-sided plinth (square with deeply chamfered corners) on a square base. The dedication is inscribed onto the shaft, but the names and Second World War inscriptions are applied in cast bronze plaques around the plinth.

The inscription is partly incised onto shaft of the cross, and partly applied as cast bronze plaques and reads: 1914/ TO THE/ GLORY OF GOD/ AND IN/ PROUD/ AND GRATEFUL/ MEMORY/ OF THE/ NOBLE DEAD/ 1918/ (NAMES)/ 1939-1945/ (NAMES).

Sources

Websites
Imperial War Museum inventory ref 37501, accessed 1 July 2019 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/37501
Leicestershire County Council’s Leicestershire War Memorials Project website , accessed 1 July 2019 from http://www.leicestershirewarmemorials.co.uk/war/memorials/view/42
War Memorials Online, accessed 1 July 2019 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/131586/

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].