Seagrave war memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1464975
Date first listed:
04-Jul-2019
Statutory Address:
Green Lane, Seagrave, Leicestershire, LE12 7LU

Map

Ordnance survey map of Seagrave war memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1464975 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2019 at 20:00:41.

Location

Statutory Address:
Green Lane, Seagrave, Leicestershire, LE12 7LU

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Leicestershire
District:
Charnwood (District Authority)
Parish:
Seagrave
National Grid Reference:
SK6163217593

Summary

A First World War memorial, erected in 1921; further names added after the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

The war memorial in Seagrave is listed at Grade II, for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the church’s community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* for its design, a dignified and well-carved floriated cross modelled on a C14 example in a nearby village.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of 750,000 British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead: therefore the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

One such memorial was raised at Seagrave, as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the 11 members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War. It was altered after the Second World War to include the names of six servicemen who died in that conflict.

The memorial was erected at a prominent road junction at the western entrance to the village, on land donated by Mr Hardy, Chairman of the Parish Council. Its design was intended to replicate the C14 churchyard cross at nearby Ragdale. The manufacture of the memorial and landscaping of its plot cost around £200. The memorial was unveiled on 02 October 1921 by Lieutenant-Colonel WSN Toller DSO, and it was dedicated by the Vicar, Reverend AEA Jones, MA.

Details

A First World War memorial, erected in 1921; further names added after the Second World War.

MATERIALS: Clipsham stone.

DESCRIPTION: the memorial takes the form of an ornate floriated wheel cross, on a tapering octagonal shaft with deep collar, surmounting a square, moulded pedestal of two stages bearing the inscriptions, atop a four-stepped, square platform.  The plinth bears the inscriptions in incised lettering.

The inscription reads: TO THE/ GLORY OF GOD/ AND IN MEMORY OF THE BRAVE MEN/ OF SEAGRAVE WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES/ FOR THEIR COUNTRY IN THE GREAT WAR/ 1914 – 1918/ THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE// (NAMES)// IN MEMORY OF/ THE MEN/ OF SEAGRAVE WHO LOST THEIR LIVES/ IN THE WORLD WAR/ 1939 – 1945// (NAMES)/ LET NOT THEIR SACRIFICE BE IN VAIN.

Sources

Websites
Imperial War Museum War Memorials Register: Seagrave War Memorial, accessed 06 June 2019 from https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/37078
War Memorials Online: Seagrave War Memorial, WMO179806, accessed 06 June 2019 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/179806/
Other
Leicestershire County Council’s Leicestershire & Rutland War Memorials Project website, accessed 06 June 2019 from http://www.leicestershirewarmemorials.co.uk/war/memorials/view/995

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].