Hawkedon War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1465003
Date first listed:
06-Jan-2020
Statutory Address:
opposite the Church of St Mary, Hawkedon, Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, IP29 4NW

Map

Ordnance survey map of Hawkedon War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1465003.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 08-Apr-2020 at 23:44:42.

Location

Statutory Address:
opposite the Church of St Mary, Hawkedon, Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, IP29 4NW

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
St. Edmundsbury (District Authority)
Parish:
Hawkedon
National Grid Reference:
TL7968253026

Summary

First World War memorial, unveiled and dedicated in 1920.

Reasons for Designation

Hawkedon War Memorial, unveiled and dedicated in 1920, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of a world event on this community, and the sacrifices it made in the First World War.

Architectural interest:

* as an accomplished and well-realised war memorial which takes the form on an obelisk.

Group value:

* with the Grade I-listed Church of St Mary.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of war memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead: therefore the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

One such memorial was raised at Hawkedon in Suffolk as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the 9 men of the parish who died during the conflict. It was designed and manufactured by FH Goddard of Bury St Edmunds, monumental masons who built several other war memorials in nearby parishes. The memorial was unveiled on 8 August 1920 by Colonel OH Oakes of Thurston End Hall and dedicated by the Reverend C Pierrepont Edwards, MC, formerly chaplain to the 5th Battalion Suffolk Regiment. It was paid for by public subscription.

Details

First World War memorial, unveiled and dedicated in 1920.

MATERIALS: stone.

DESCRIPTION: the memorial stands in a prominent roadside position within a small hedged enclosure on the north side of the village green and to the north-west of the Church of St Mary (Grade I).

It comprises a tall obelisk which tapers in octagonal section from a deep, square pedestal standing on a substantial octagonal plinth. The whole stands on a three-stepped base which is curved at the front (south side). Carved in shallow relief on the front (south) of the base of the pedestal is the Emblem on Victory (a wreath with crossed swords) along with the words: 'THE / WAR / 1914 / 1918'. The dedicatory inscription is inscribed on the north, east and west faces of the pedestal and reads 'TO THE / GLORY / OF / GOD / IN MEMORY OF / THE MEN OF / HAWKEDON / 'GREATER LOVE / HATH / NO MAN'. The names of the nine men who died are inscribed on the eight faces of the octagonal plinth.

Sources

Websites
Information on Hawkedon War Memorial from the Imperial War Museum's War Memorials Register, accessed 7 June 2019 from https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/5214
Information on Hawkedon War Memorial from the War Memorials Online website, accessed 7 June 2019 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/117487/
Other
Bury Free Press, 14 August 1920, pp3

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].