Taynton War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1465071
Date first listed:
10-Jul-2019
Statutory Address:
Church of St Lawrence, Taynton Road, Taynton, Gloucestershire, GL19 3AN

Map

Ordnance survey map of Taynton War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1465071.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2019 at 02:19:14.

Location

Statutory Address:
Church of St Lawrence, Taynton Road, Taynton, Gloucestershire, GL19 3AN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Gloucestershire
District:
Forest of Dean (District Authority)
Parish:
Taynton
National Grid Reference:
SO7370822159

Summary

War memorial, erected in 1921.

Reasons for Designation

Taynton War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Architectural interest:

* as a well-executed example of a calvary cross war memorial.

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice that it made in the conflicts of the C20.

Group value:

* with the Church of St Lawrence (Grade II*) and a number of Grade II-listed monuments within the churchyard.

History

The great age of memorial building was in the aftermath of the First World War which saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead, and therefore the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

In October 1919 the rector of Taynton, Reverend B K Foster, was given permission to erect a memorial cross in the churchyard of the Church of St Lawrence, along with a wooden memorial tablet in the church. The cost of the memorial, which was erected in 1921, was met by the parishioners.

Following the Second World War a dedication and the name of one man who had died in the conflict were added to the memorial.

In about 2013 metal plaques were fixed to the tread of the upper step of the base of the memorial. These are transcribed with the original inscriptions on the stone pedestal which are becoming difficult to read due to weathering.

Details

War memorial, erected in 1921.

MATERIALS: constructed of stone.

DESCRIPTION: located in the churchyard of the Church of St Lawrence (Grade II*) the memorial takes the form of a gabled calvary cross with an octagonal shaft, surmounted on a rectangular pedestal. The whole stands on a two-stepped, square base.

There is an inscription of the north face of the pedestal that reads:

IN PROUD MEMORY OF / THE MEN OF TAYNTON / WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES / IN THE GREAT WAR / 1914–1918.

The names of the 24 parishioners that died in that conflict are inscribed on the west and east face of the pedestal.

The south face of the pedestal bears the inscription:

SECOND WORLD WAR / 1939–1945 / (1 NAME) / DIED ON ACTIVE SERVICE.

Sources

Websites
Taynton War Memorial, accessed 12 June 2019 from https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/49596
Taynton War Memorial, accessed 12 June 2019 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/75629
Other
'Taynton', Cheltenham Chronicle (11 October 1919), p.7

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].