Woodhouse Eaves War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1465195
Date first listed:
17-Jul-2019
Statutory Address:
Church Hill, near St Paul's Church, Woodhouse Eaves, Leicestershire, LE12 8RT

Map

Ordnance survey map of Woodhouse Eaves War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1465195 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2019 at 19:26:58.

Location

Statutory Address:
Church Hill, near St Paul's Church, Woodhouse Eaves, Leicestershire, LE12 8RT

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Leicestershire
District:
Charnwood (District Authority)
Parish:
Woodhouse
National Grid Reference:
SK5318614123

Summary

A First World War memorial unveiled in 1920, altered following the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

Woodhouse Eaves War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* the war memorial is an interesting and dramatically sited design, dignified and well-proportioned.

Group value

* it has strong group value with the Grade II* listed parish church and Grade II listed lych gate.

History

The war memorial in Woodhouse Eaves was unveiled on Sunday 28 November 1920 by Major General Sir AR Hosking KCB CMG DSO, and dedicated by the Rural Dean, the Reverend Arthur King. The hillside on which the memorial was erected was donated by William Curzon-Herrick.

The memorial commemorates the 34 local servicemen who fell in the First World War, and eight who later fell in the Second World War. It was designed by a Leicester based architect who lively locally, Howard Henry Thomson. Thomson also design the [now demolished] Liberty Shoe Factory at Leicester, and the Grade II listed war memorials at Birstall and Anstey, Leicestershire, as well as much other work.

The building work for the memorial was carried out by Walter Wesley, and the slate panels and lettering were produced by The Plasmatic Company of Leicester. The cost of the memorial was around £450.

Details

A First World War memorial unveiled in 1920, altered following the Second World War.

MATERIALS: the memorial is constructed of Mountsorrel granite and slate.

DESCRIPTION: Woodhouse Eaves war memorial is located on the hillside adjacent to the road at the bend in Church Hill. It is prominently sited near to the parish church, overlooking surrounding fields.

The memorial consists of two main elements: a cross of around 5m which stands atop a rocky outcrop, and below this a wall around 4m wide and 1.7m high which bears the inscription panels. The Latin cross is square in section and rough-hewn. The lower wall is altar-like and consists of a three-tiered granite 'frame' with encised epitaph, within which are three inserted slate inscription panels with gilded lettering.

The inscriptions read: THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE/ IN HONOURED/ MEMORY/ OF THE MEN OF/ WOODHOUSE EAVES/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES/ FOR THEIR COUNTRY/ IN THE/ GREAT WAR 1914 - 1919/ (NAMES)/ AND OF THOSE WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES/ IN THE WORLD WAR 1939 - 1945/ (NAMES).

Sources

Websites
Imperial War Museum Inventory, accessed 17.6.19 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/14806
Leicestershire County Council's Leicestershire and Rutland War Memorials Project, accessed 17.6.19 from http://www.leicestershirewarmemorials.co.uk/war/memorials/view/1290
Other
Illustrated Leicester Chronicle, Saturday 23 April 1921 pp.8-9

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].