Water Hydrant opposite Ivy Cottage, Nettlecombe

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1465413
Date first listed:
18-Oct-2019
Location Description:
Located on the opposite side of the road to Ivy Cottage.
Statutory Address:
Ivy Cottage, Nettlecombe Lane, Whitwell, Isle of Wight, PO38 2AE

Map

Ordnance survey map of Water Hydrant opposite Ivy Cottage, Nettlecombe
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1465413.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Mar-2020 at 17:23:47.

Location

Statutory Address:
Ivy Cottage, Nettlecombe Lane, Whitwell, Isle of Wight, PO38 2AE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Location Description:
Located on the opposite side of the road to Ivy Cottage.
District:
Isle of Wight (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Niton and Whitwell
National Grid Reference:
SZ5266078276

Summary

A free-standing water hydrant of 1887, one of a series of eight remaining in Whitwell and Nettlecombe.

Reasons for Designation

The water hydrant opposite Ivy Cottage in Nettlecombe on the Isle of Wight, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Architectural interest:

* as a decorative, late-C19 cast-iron water hydrant of good quality;

* the hydrant is unaltered and intact.

Historic interest:

* although water hydrants were once a common feature of the street scene, original examples, especially of this quality and intactness, are increasingly rare;

* the water hydrant is a reminder of the philanthropy shown by some C19 landowners to their local community, in an age when a reliable and clean water supply was not universally available.

Group value:

* the water hydrant is part of a system of eight hydrants, located throughout Nettlecombe and Whitwell.

History

The water hydrant system in Whitwell and Nettlecombe was installed in 1887, and six examples remain in Whitwell and two in Nettlecombe. There were originally 16 hydrants which were provided at a cost of £600, and known locally as 'lions' or 'red boys'. Half the funding came from Mr W Spindler of nearby Old Park, the remainder being supplied by the local population.   Mr Spindler was a German industrial chemist who came to the Isle of Wight for the benefit of his health in 1873, and purchased an estate of 144 acres known as Old Park in the Undercliff. The water for the hydrant system was supplied free by Mr Granville Ward, from a spring on his land to the west. Prior to the new supply, the local population were known to have suffered ill-health through drinking contaminated water from the local wells and springs.   The design of the hydrant provided water from the lion's mouth, a platform for the water bucket, a knob to the side for activating the water supply and also a metal cup on a chain for more immediate refreshment. The cup and chain have now been removed.

Details

A free-standing water hydrant of 1887, one of a series of eight remaining in Whitwell and Nettlecombe.   MATERIALS: cast-iron.   DESCRIPTION: the hydrant is painted red and located in the hedge opposite Ivy Cottage. It faces north onto the lane. It is around 1m high and comprises a fluted column, standing on a moulded and pierced base, which also acted as a support for a water bucket. The column is surmounted by a domed and fluted cap, which is decorated with an acorn finial. Below, there is a lion's-head mask, with water dispenser and an operating knob to the side. 

Sources

Websites
Whitwell History website, accessed 31 July 2019 from https://whitwellhistory.co.uk/history/

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].