West Somerton War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1465461
Date first listed:
06-Aug-2019
Statutory Address:
Roadside, Junction of Church Road and Winterton Road, West Somerton, Norfolk, NR29 4DR

Map

Ordnance survey map of West Somerton War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1465461 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2019 at 01:40:46.

Location

Statutory Address:
Roadside, Junction of Church Road and Winterton Road, West Somerton, Norfolk, NR29 4DR

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
Great Yarmouth (District Authority)
Parish:
Somerton
National Grid Reference:
TG4734319708

Summary

A First World War memorial, erected in around 1920; altered after the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

West Somerton War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* as a striking granite monument with a sculpted lion at the top.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of 750,000 British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at West Somerton, as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the 15 members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.

West Somerton War Memorial was erected in around 1920. The memorial commemorates the fallen from both East and West Somerton and as such is located between the two settlements. Part of the First World War inscription is adapted from John Bunyan’s Pilgrim’s Progress.

Following the Second World War, a dedication was added to commemorate the two men who fell in that conflict, one of which was presumably added at a later date.

Details

A First World War memorial, erected in around 1920; altered after the Second World War.

MATERIALS: Granite.

DESCRIPTION: West Somerton War Memorial is located at a road junction on the corner on a rise of ground. It comprises a chamfered octagonal pillar supporting a sculpted, sleeping lion. The pillar stands on an octagonal plinth with a moulded top lip and a rough-hewn octagonal tier base. The front (north-east) face of the pillar carries the inscription: IN MEMORY OF THE MEN OF / EAST AND WEST SOMERTON / WHO FOUGHT IN THE GREAT / WAR FOR LIBERTY 1914 1919 / THE FOLLOWING GAVE THEIR LIVES with the names of the 15 fallen below. Below this is inscribed “WHO WOULD TRUE VALOUR SEE / LET HIM COME HITHER".

On the north-west face of the memorial is the inscription IN THE / 1939 - 1945 / WAR followed by one name, and below MADE THE / SUPREME / SACRIFICE followed by the name of the second parishioner who fell in that conflict.

Sources

Websites
Imperial War Museums War Memorials Register – East and West Somerton, accessed 28 June 2019 from https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/19911
War Memorials Online Database - East and West Somerton , accessed 28 June 2019 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/259310/

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].