Little Walsingham War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1465658
Date first listed:
30-Aug-2019
Statutory Address:
Guild Street, Junction of Wells Road and Knight Street, Little Walsingham, Norfolk, NR22 6BU

Map

Ordnance survey map of Little Walsingham War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1465658 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2019 at 19:06:12.

Location

Statutory Address:
Guild Street, Junction of Wells Road and Knight Street, Little Walsingham, Norfolk, NR22 6BU

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
North Norfolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Walsingham
National Grid Reference:
TF9351037026

Summary

A First World War memorial dating from around 1920, altered following the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

The war memorial in Little Walsingham is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Architectural interest:

* it is a dignified and sombre stone cross, neatly made and with striking proportions.

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.

Group value:

* it has good group value with nearby listed buildings.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of war memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus for the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Little Walsingham, as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.

The memorial in Little Walsingham was probably erected around 1920, and cost £220 to build. It commemorates the 22 local servicemen who fell in the First World War, and was then altered after the Second World War to commemorate the three servicemen who fell in that conflict.

Details

A First World War memorial dating from around 1920, altered following the Second World War.

MATERIALS AND PLAN: the memorial is constructed of stone and is located at the junction of Knight Street and Guild Street

DESCRIPTION: the war memorial stands at about five metres tall and comprises of a wheel head stone cross on a slender, tapering shaft with a collar at the top and moulded base. This stands on an octagonal plinth, also moulded, on a three-stepped octagonal base.

The plinth bears the inscriptions which read: TO THE HONOUR OF/ GOD OUR PRESERVER/ AND IN GRATEFUL/ REMEMBRANCE/ OF THE MEN OF/ LITTLE WALSINGHAM/ AND EGMERE/ WHO GAVE/ THEIR LIVES IN/ THE GREAT WAR/ 1914 - 1919/ (NAMES)/ THIS INSCRIPTION/ COMMEMORATES/ (NAMES)/ WHO GAVE/ THEIR LIVES IN/ THE 1939 - 45 WAR/ THE MEMORIAL/ RECREATION GROUND/ IN WELLS ROAD/ WALSINGHAM/ IS IN THEIR HONOUR/ AND IN GRATITUDE/ TO ALL WHO/ CONTRIBUTED TO/ VICTORY.

Sources

Websites
Imperial War Museum Inventory ref 20123, accessed 10 July 2019 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/20123
War Memorials Online ref 154985, accessed 10 July 2019 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/154985/

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].