Tamhorn House Canal Bridge

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1466433
Date first listed:
13-Nov-2019
Location Description:
Statutory Address:
Tamhorn Park Farm, Fisherwick Road, Lichfield, WS14 9JJ

Map

Ordnance survey map of Tamhorn House Canal Bridge
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1466433.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 04-Apr-2020 at 14:22:25.

Location

Statutory Address:
Tamhorn Park Farm, Fisherwick Road, Lichfield, WS14 9JJ

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Location Description:
County:
Staffordshire
District:
Lichfield (District Authority)
Parish:
Fisherwick
National Grid Reference:
SK1802507162

Summary

Accommodation bridge on the Birmingham and Fazeley Canal, around 1786-1789.

Reasons for Designation

The Tamhorn House Canal Bridge is listed at Grade II, for the following principal reasons: Architectural interest:

* dating to the 1780s, a period of pioneering canal building, and for which there is a presumption in favour of listing structures which retain a significant proportion of their historic fabric; * a robust and well-constructed brick bridge which is largely unaltered and exemplifies the architectural character of the canal as it passes through rural farmland.

Historic interest:

* as an accommodation bridge that was part of the infrastructure of the Birmingham and Fazeley Canal, constructed in the 1780s.

Group value:

* with the Grade II-listed Tamhorn Park Farmhouse.

History

The Birmingham and Fazeley Canal is a 14 mile waterway which links the Birmingham Canal at Farmers Bridge Junction to the Coventry Canal at Fazeley, just south of Tamworth.

The construction of a new canal to provide the Walsall coal fields with access to the network was first mooted in 1770. After various routes and proposals were rejected, plans for a line from central Birmingham to Fazeley were authorised by an Act of Paliament in 1784. John Smeaton was the engineer, and John Pinkerton the building contractor. Construction took place between 1786 and 1789.

The Tamhorn House bridge provides access between the farmstead and farmland at Tamhorn Park Farm. The farmhouse, listed at Grade II (1180228) was owned by Sir Robert Peel, who used it as a hunting lodge.

Details

Accommodation bridge on the Birmingham and Fazeley Canal, around 1786-1789.

MATERIALS: lime-washed red brick with blue brick copings.

PLAN: the bridge connects the land on the east and west sides of the canal at Tamhorn Park Farm. The tow path runs along the east side of the canal, passing beneath the bridge. EXTERIOR: a single segmental arch with a plain brick-coped parapet.

Sources

Books and journals
Crowe, N, Canals, (1994)
Hadfield, C, The Canals of the West Midlands, (1985)
Websites
'Birmingham and Fazeley Canal', Canal and River Trust, accessed 30/08/2019 from https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/canal-and-river-network/birmingham-and-fazeley-canal
Smeaton, John (1724–1792), accessed 30/08/2019 from https://www.oxforddnb.com/view/10.1093/ref:odnb/9780198614128.001.0001/odnb-9780198614128-e-25746?rskey=osOiaF&result=2

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].