East and West Runton War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1466515
Date first listed:
07-Oct-2019
Statutory Address:
36m south-east of the Church of the Holy Trinity, Cromer Road (A149), West Runton, Norfolk, NR27 9QT

Map

Ordnance survey map of East and West Runton War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1466515.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2019 at 18:45:16.

Location

Statutory Address:
36m south-east of the Church of the Holy Trinity, Cromer Road (A149), West Runton, Norfolk, NR27 9QT

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
North Norfolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Runton
National Grid Reference:
TG1798042784

Summary

First World War memorial, unveiled in 1921, with later addition for the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

Runton War Memorial at West Runton is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest: * as an eloquent witness to the tragic impacts of world events on this community, and the sacrifices it made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest: * for its poignant and well-executed design.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

One such memorial was raised at West Runton as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by 35 men from the villages of West and East Runton who lost their lives during the conflict. A number of meetings were held between 1919 and 1921 to discuss the commissioning and erection of a war memorial. It was produced by Sheringham stonemason H Palmer, and was unveiled on Sunday 20 November 1921; one of the wreaths was laid by two discharged, wounded servicemen whose descendants still (2019) reside in the parish.   Following the Second World War the central plaque was replaced with one which commemorated the 16 local servicemen who died during this conflict. It was unveiled on 17 June 1951. By the late C20 the panels had begun to decay and in the 1980s they were replaced with copies to the original designs.  

Details

First World War memorial, unveiled in 1921, with later addition for the Second World War.

MATERIALS It is constructed of flint with ashlar dressings.

DESCRIPTION The war memorial is prominently situated alongside the main road through the village of West Runton, abutting the boundary wall to the churchyard. Three steps lead up to the memorial which takes the form of an angled or canted wall constructed of cut and squared flints laid in regular courses with ashlar dressings. It has a moulded cornice and a frieze which is inscribed in painted lettering:

THEY WERE A WALL UNTO US BOTH BY NIGHT AND DAY

There are three panels fixed to the front of the memorial which carry the inscriptions. The outer panels bear the names of the fallen from the First World War, while the central one reads:

TO THE MEN OF/ RUNTON/ WHO FELL / (NAMES)/ 1939-1945.

Sources

Websites
Imperial War Museum Register, Runton, accessed 19 August 2019 from https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/20187
War Memorials Online, East and West Runton , accessed 19 August 2019 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/203477

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].