Doorway to the grounds of Temple Lodge

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1466621
Date first listed:
29-Oct-2019
Location Description:
Statutory Address:
Cravengate, Richmond, North Yorkshire, DL10 4EE

Map

Ordnance survey map of Doorway to the grounds of Temple Lodge
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1466621.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 04-Apr-2020 at 19:30:47.

Location

Statutory Address:
Cravengate, Richmond, North Yorkshire, DL10 4EE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Location Description:
County:
North Yorkshire
District:
Richmondshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Richmond
National Grid Reference:
NZ1677300961

Summary

Early-C19 Gothic-style doorway through the garden boundary wall of Temple Lodge.

Reasons for Designation

The doorway to the grounds of Temple Lodge is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Architectural interest: * as an early-C19 entranceway, its Gothic architectural design complementing that of the Grade II-listed Temple Lodge; * the archway is unusual in that it is formed from just two very large pieces of stone.

Group value: * with the Grade II-listed Temple Lodge and the Grade II-registered Temple Grounds.

History

The Georgian, Gothic-style Temple Lodge (listed Grade II), originally known as the Menagerie, was built sometime between 1749 and 1769 as a banqueting room within the grounds of York House. It was extended and became the main house of the estate around 1824-1827 when York House was demolished, becoming known as Temple Lodge from that point. The doorway to the grounds through the boundary wall is likely to date to the 1820s, probably designed to provide a more convenient pedestrian access to the town than the much grander early-C18 ironwork gates 10m to the south. The tall boundary wall into which the doorway is set is utilitarian in form, built of rubble stone. The dwarf wing walls to the east are later additions. The designed landscape, Temple Grounds, is included on the Parks and Gardens Register at Grade II.

Details

Doorway through a boundary wall, probably 1820s.

MATERIALS: stone ashlar east face, rubble stone inner (west) face. Timber doors.

DESCRIPTION: the outer (east) face has a four-centred arch with a hood mould, the arch being formed from two stone blocks. This sits on monolithic jambs set on slightly projecting bases. The walling above the arch is ashlar, rising as a crow-stepped pediment and incorporating a cornice. The door is panelled and divided into two narrow leafs hung on strap hinges internally.

Sources

None.

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].