Totland Bay War Memorial


Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:
Junction of Church Hill and Weston Road, Totland, Isle of Wight, PO39 0EX


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1466994.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 05-Mar-2021 at 00:19:02.


Statutory Address:
Junction of Church Hill and Weston Road, Totland, Isle of Wight, PO39 0EX

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Isle of Wight (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:


First World War memorial, erected 1920, with later additions for the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

Totland Bay War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifices it made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* as a well-composed obelisk memorial with original commemorative inscriptions.


The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead: therefore the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

The Totland memorial was erected by the beginning of 1920 by the West Wight Monumental Company. By May 1920 the area around the memorial had been completed, with iron railings installed and shrubs planted along the path running to the memorial. Efforts to erect the memorial were led by Mr F G Aman and Mr C G Ring.

Following the end of the Second World War, the names of 15 local men who died during that conflict were added. Two further names from the Second World War were added after 1998. Four additional names that were omitted from the First World War have also been added. The memorial was originally located at the southern end of the Broadway, but was relocated to its present location when the road junction became a roundabout. Restoration of the memorial was carried out by Totland Parish Council in 1999.


First World War memorial, erected 1920, with later additions for the Second World War.

MATERIALS: Portland stone with cast-iron railings.

DESCRIPTION: the memorial takes the form of a short obelisk on a square pedestal with a molded cap, recessed panels and chamfered plinth, set on a three-stepped base. The north panel of the pedestal is inscribed ‘1914-1919/ REMEMBER/ THOSE WHO DIED/ FOR US’ with the names inscribed on the remaining faces. The inscription ‘1939-1945’ has been added below the recessed north-facing panel, with 15 names on the chamfer and foot of the pedestal. A further name has been added below the list of names at a later stage. The memorial, which is enclosed by cast-iron bar railings, stands on paving set within a grassed area. A path leads from the memorial to the pavement and four dwarf stone bollards stand to the front of the memorial at the edge of the grassed area.


Imperial War Museum, War Memorial Register: Totland, accessed 23 September 2019 from
War Memorial Online: Totland War Memorial, accessed 23 September 2019 from


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].