Ab Kettleby War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1467025
Date first listed:
31-Oct-2019
Statutory Address:
Church of St James the Greater, Chapel Lane, Ab Kettleby, Leicestershire, LE14 3HT

Map

Ordnance survey map of Ab Kettleby War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1467025.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 08-Apr-2020 at 21:00:31.

Location

Statutory Address:
Church of St James the Greater, Chapel Lane, Ab Kettleby, Leicestershire, LE14 3HT

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Leicestershire
District:
Melton (District Authority)
Parish:
Ab Kettleby
National Grid Reference:
SK7242222886

Summary

First World War memorial, 1920, with later addition for the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

Ab Kettleby War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest: * as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifice it has made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest: * its simple design, in the form of an obelisk, is fitting for its purpose as a commemorative structure.

Group value: * it groups well with the Church of St James (Grade II*), two headstones (Grade II) and the nearby scheduled moated site.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

One such memorial was raised in the churchyard at Ab Kettleby as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by eight local men during the First World War. It was designed and supplied by Thomas Drake, a monumental mason from Melton Mowbray and cost a little over £70. The dedication service, which was reported in the Melton Mowbray Times (20 February 1920), took place on 12 February 1920 attended by the Reverend Canon Blakeney, the Reverend EP Dondney who was vicar of Ab Kettleby and the curate at Melton, the Reverend H Theodore Mogridge.

Following the Second World War a further plaque was added to commemorate the three servicemen from the parish who died during this conflict.

Details

First World War memorial, 1920, with later addition for the Second World War.

MATERIALS: Rubislaw granite

DESCRIPTION: the memorial stands within the churchyard, close to the north entrance to the church. It is carved from polished Rubislaw granite and takes the form of a square-sectioned obelisk, a plinth with chamfered top and a single-stepped square base. The front (south) face of the plinth carries the main dedicatory inscription which reads: ERECTED BY THE/ PARISHIONERS OF/ AB KETTLEBY IN MEMORY OF/ (NAMES).

The base beneath is inscribed: WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES FOR THEIR/ COUNTRY IN THE GREAT EUROPEAN WAR/ 1914 – 1919; and the inscription to the fallen from the Second World War, also on the plinth, reads: ALSO/ IN REMEMBRANCE OF/ (NAMES)/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES FOR THEIR/ COUNTRY IN THE SECOND GREAT WAR/ 1939 – 1945.

Sources

Websites
Obelisk, St James Churchyard - Ab Kettleby, accessed 18 September 2019 from http://www.leicestershirewarmemorials.co.uk/war/memorials/view/1
War Memorials Register, Ab Kettleby, accessed 18 September 2019 from https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/37787

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].