Clunbury War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1467398
Date first listed:
19-Nov-2019
Location Description:


Statutory Address:
Located at the junction of the B4368 and the B4385, Clunbury, Shropshire, SY7 0HJ

Map

Ordnance survey map of Clunbury War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1467398.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 06-Apr-2020 at 07:52:36.

Location

Statutory Address:
Located at the junction of the B4368 and the B4385, Clunbury, Shropshire, SY7 0HJ

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Location Description:


District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Clunbury
National Grid Reference:
SO3601180943

Summary

First World War memorial, erected in 1922, with later additions.

Reasons for Designation

Clunbury War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* as a well-executed example of an obelisk-type memorial.

Group value:

* with a mid-C19 milestone (Grade II).

History

The great age of memorial building was in the aftermath of the First World War which saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead. The memorials, therefore, provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

Clunbury War Memorial was erected as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by 27 members of the local community who died in the First World War. The memorial was unveiled in April 1922 during a ceremony led by Reverend A D Beavan.

The names of five parishioners who died during the Second World War were subsequently added to the memorial. An additional name was added following the Gulf War.

Details

First World War memorial, erected in 1922, with later additions.

MATERIALS: carved from stone.

DESCRIPTION: the memorial stands at the Purslow crossroads, at the south-west corner of the junction between the B4368 and the B4385. It takes the form of an obelisk, square in section, rising from a small base, and stands on a pedestal, with a two-stepped plinth.

The inscriptions are in incised capital lettering, painted black. The principal dedicatory inscription is inscribed to the front (north-east) face of the base of the obelisk and reads:

IN MEMORY OF / THE GLORIOUS DEAD / 1914 – 1919.

On the dado beneath, to the front and side faces, are listed the names and ranks of the 27 men who died during the First World War. To the top step of the plinth is the inscription:

THEY DIED FOR FREEDOM

The later inscriptions, also incised and painted black, are recorded to the front face of the obelisk. The inscription reads:

GULF 1991 / (1 NAME) / 1939 – 1945 / (5 NAMES).

SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: the whole stands on a raised stone platform bounded by hoop-head, wrought iron railings.

Sources

Websites
Clunbury War Memorial, accessed 16 October 2019 from https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/13919
Clunbury War Memorial, accessed 16 October 2019 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/109891/
Hundred House War Memorial, accessed 16 October 2019 from http://search.shropshirehistory.org.uk/collections/getrecord/CCS_MSA34405/

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].