Cullingworth War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1467703
Date first listed:
02-Dec-2019
Statutory Address:
Cullingworth War Memorial, Halifax Road, Cullingworth, West Yorkshire, BD13 5HE

Map

Ordnance survey map of Cullingworth War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1467703.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Apr-2020 at 13:40:56.

Location

Statutory Address:
Cullingworth War Memorial, Halifax Road, Cullingworth, West Yorkshire, BD13 5HE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Bradford (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Cullingworth
National Grid Reference:
SE0679336774

Summary

First World War memorial, 1924, with Second World War additions.

Reasons for Designation

Cullingworth War Memorial, 1924, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* a well-executed classical-style stone shaft cenotaph, set within an integrally designed memorial garden; * designed by Messrs J B Bailey and Son of Keighley, it employs good quality materials and craftsmanship.

Group value:

* it benefits from a group value with the listed Grade II Wesleyan Methodist Chapel.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead: therefore the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.  One such memorial was raised at Cullingworth as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by 47 men from the community, who lost their lives in the First World War.

Cullingworth War Memorial stands within a small, contemporary memorial garden on a site donated by Messrs J and J Broadbent of Cullingworth Mills, and is over-looked by the Wesleyan Methodist Chapel (Grade II). It was designed by Messrs J B Bailey and Son, architects of Keighley, and its cost of £1,200, was raised by subscription. It was unveiled at a well-attended ceremony on Saturday 29 March 1924, the crowd including about 200 ex-servicemen. Mr J Walker, chairman of the War Memorial Committee, presided over the ceremony and the memorial was unveiled by Lieutenant-Colonel Anthony Gadie of Bradford, after which, it was dedicated by the vicar of Cullingworth, the Reverend J W Hind. Following the ceremony, the memorial was handed over into the care of Bingley Urban Council.

After the Second World War, a further nine names of the Fallen from that conflict were added to the memorial. As originally built, the paths leading to the memorial were laid with gravel chippings, which have since been replaced by tarmac surfaces. In November 2018, the Airfields of Britain Conservation Trust erected a small stone memorial in the memorial garden, adjacent to the southern side of the dais, to commemorate the First World War aerodrome at RFC Manywells Height (Cullingworth Airfield).

Details

First World War memorial, 1924, with Second World War additions.

MATERIALS: ashlar limestone monument, brick dwarf walls, with ashlar and concrete copings and kerb stones, cast-iron railings, and brick dais with kerb stones.

PLAN: square-plan monument

DESCRIPTION: the war memorial stands at the centre of the village, set within a sub-rectangular memorial garden. It stands on a brick-built, rectangular dais that forms a raised terrace, due to the ground falling away to the north-east, and as a consequence, the northern path approaches the dais by a flight of steps. The memorial takes the form of a slightly tapering classical-style stone shaft, with an architrave, a frieze with a dentil band, and a projecting moulded cornice supported by plain mutules. It rises from a two-stepped base that has stone wreath-rests on the top step resting against the square plinth. The west frieze displays a laurel wreath flanked by flags lowered in salute that are carved in relief. Each elevation of the shaft has a rectangular stone tablet set within a recessed moulded frame. The tablet on the west elevation bears an incised dedication that reads: ERECTED/ IN GRATEFUL/ MEMORY OF/ THE MEN OF/ CULLINGWORTH/ WHO GAVE/ THEIR LIVES/ FOR THEIR/ COUNTRY/ 1914 – 1918/ AFTER WAR PEACE, with the names of the 47 fallen from the First World War incised on the tablets within the remaining three elevations. The names of the nine fallen from the Second World War have been added to the east tablet, beneath an inscription that reads: THE/ SECOND GREAT WAR/ 1939 - 1945.

The main west entrance to the garden has ashlar steps, flanked by substantial, classical-style rectangular gate piers that echo the style of the memorial. Subsidiary open gateways flanked by conical ashlar posts, are situated at the north-east and south-east corners of the garden and provide access to paths lined by raised kerb stones laid on brick, with staggered seating bays. Dwarf walls with coping stones enclose the garden: those on the north, west, and south sides support two-bar railings carried by decorative cast-iron posts, and conical ashlar posts, while the eastern boundary is defined by a hedge against the inner face of the dwarf wall.

Sources

Websites
Imperial War museum War Memorial Register - Cullingworth, accessed 31 October 2019 from https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/28862
War Memorials Online - Cullingworth WWI and WWII, accessed 31 October 2019 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/165109
Other
Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligencer, 31 March 1924, Page 11, Cullingworth War Memorial

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].