Plungar War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1467704
Date first listed:
15-Jan-2020
Location Description:
At the corner of Frog Lane and Barkestone Lane.

Map

Ordnance survey map of Plungar War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1467704.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 09-Apr-2020 at 22:16:38.

Location

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Location Description:
At the corner of Frog Lane and Barkestone Lane.
County:
Leicestershire
District:
Melton (District Authority)
Parish:
Redmile
National Grid Reference:
SK7682833835

Summary

First World War memorial, erected in 1920, with Second World War additions.

Reasons for Designation

Plungar War Memorial, erected in 1920, with Second World War additions, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impacts of world events on this community, and the sacrifices it made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* as a simple but impressive and well executed obelisk.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead: therefore the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

One such memorial was raised at Plungar in Leicestershire as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by seven local servicemen. It was unveiled and dedicated on 7 November 1920 by the local vicar, Reverend RT Seivewright.

Following the Second World War a further dedication was added to commemorate the single villager who fell in that conflict.

Details

First World War memorial, erected 1920, with Second World War additions.

MATERIALS: of limestone with a slate inscription panel.

DESCRIPTION: Plungar War Memorial stands in a prominent position within a roadside garden at the corner of Frog Lane and Barkestone Lane.

The memorial takes the form of a slender limestone obelisk that tapers in square section from a tall, three-stage, square plinth to a pyramidal top. The plinth stands on a three-stepped base of which the upper step is cruciform and the lower two steps octagonal. The south (front) face of the obelisk bears relief carvings of the Sword of Sacrifice along with the Latin word 'PAX' (meaning peace). The other faces contain incised Swords of Sacrifice.

The main dedicatory inscription is inscribed on an inset slate panel on the plinth's south face and reads 'IN PROUD MEMORY OF / THE MEN OF / PLUNGAR / WHO MADE THE / SUPREME SACRIFICE / IN THE GREAT WAR / 1914 - 19 / [Names]'. A further panel at the base of the plinth records the name of a single serviceman who died in the Second World War.

The middle step of the base is inscribed with the verse 'GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN THAN THIS THAT HE LAY DOWN HIS LIFE FOR HIS FRIENDS' (John 15:13)

Sources

Websites
Information on Plungar War Memorial from Leicestershire County Council's War Memorials Project website, accessed 01 November 2019 from http://www.leicestershirewarmemorials.co.uk/war/memorials/view/912
Information on Plungar War Memorial from the Imperial War Museum's War Memorials Register, accessed 01 November 2019 from https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/14789
Other
Grantham Journal, 13 November 1920, pp3

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].