LNWR and LMS Crewe Tranship Shed War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1467746
Date first listed:
13-Jan-2020
Statutory Address:
Christ Church, Prince Albert Street, Crewe, CW1 2DF

Map

Ordnance survey map of LNWR and LMS Crewe Tranship Shed War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1467746.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 09-Apr-2020 at 16:03:31.

Location

Statutory Address:
Christ Church, Prince Albert Street, Crewe, CW1 2DF

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cheshire East (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SJ7063755611

Summary

A First World War memorial of 1925 with Second World War additions, relocated in 1999.

Reasons for Designation

The London North Western Railway (LNWR) and London Midland and Scottish Railway (LMS) Crewe tranship shed war memorial, a First World War memorial of 1925 with Second World War additions, relocated in 1999, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest: * as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* for the design interest of the decorative slab and its inscriptions.

Group value:

* with the adjacent listed Tower of Christ Church, which was built by the railway and designed by an engineer on its staff.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Crewe as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by 20 men from the Crewe tranship shed of the London and North Western Railway who lost their lives in the First World War.

The memorial was originally located in the Basford Hall Sidings on Gresty Road. 211 men from the staff volunteered, of whom nearly ten per cent gave their lives. The memorial was unveiled on 11 November 1925 by the district goods manager WH Phillips, and dedicated by Reverend A Maitland-Wood of St Andrew’s Church, Crewe.

Following the Second World War (after merger had seen the facility become part of the London Midland and Scottish Railway) five names from that conflict were added. In 1999 the memorial was relocated to prevent damage from heavy vehicles entering the original site. Railtrack and the Railway Heritage Trust, with help from local firms, cleaned and moved the memorial to the grounds of Christ Church. It was re-dedicated on 7 November. The former church was built by the railway, and the listed tower (National Heritage List for England - NHLE – 1138680) designed by an engineer on its staff.

Details

A First World War memorial of 1925 with Second World War additions, relocated in 1999.

MATERIALS: buff sandstone.

DESCRIPTION: standing on stone flags within the footprint of the former Christ Church, the tower of which is grade II-listed.

The memorial takes the form of a stone slab with shallow pyramidal capital over a dentilled cornice, and a moulded three-stepped foot, standing on a single square step. The principal (south) face of the memorial has labels in the upper corners, carved with flowers in low relief, above a laurel wreath carved in relief. Below this the incised inscription reads: TO THE GLORY OF GOD,/ AND TO PERPETUATE THE MEMORY/ OF THE FOLLOWING MEN/ FROM THE CREWE TRANSHIP SHED,/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES FOR THEIR COUNTRY/ IN THE GREAT WAR 1914 – 1918./ (20 NAMES)/ 1939 – 1945/ (5 NAMES).

The returns of the slab each have a cross in low relief.

Sources

Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 4 November 2019 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/node/143831
War Memorials Register, Imperial War Museum , accessed 4 November 2019 from https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/2667

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].