Hethersgill War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1467837
Date first listed:
13-Jan-2020
Statutory Address:
Churchyard of the Church of St Mary, Hethersgill, Cumbria, CA6 6EJ

Map

Ordnance survey map of Hethersgill War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1467837.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 05-Apr-2020 at 18:53:33.

Location

Statutory Address:
Churchyard of the Church of St Mary, Hethersgill, Cumbria, CA6 6EJ

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cumbria
District:
Carlisle (District Authority)
Parish:
Hethersgill
National Grid Reference:
NY4783067097

Summary

First World War memorial, 1920, with Second World War additions.

Reasons for Designation

Hethersgill War Memorial, 1920, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* it is a simple yet dignified memorial in the form of a wheel-head cross with Celtic knot-work carving, executed in Aberdeen granite.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Hethersgill as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by 12 members of the local community, who lost their lives in the First World War.

The war memorial was erected at a cost of £120 raised by public subscription. It was unveiled within the churchyard of the Church of St Mary on 11 June 1920 by the Reverend D Railton, MC, CF, of Folkestone and dedicated by the local rector. The name of a further serviceman who died of his wounds in 1921 was subsequently added to the memorial. After the Second World War, the names of three fallen of that conflict were added to the memorial.

Details

First World War memorial, 1920, with Second World War additions.

MATERIALS: Aberdeen granite

DESCRIPTION: the war memorial is prominently sited to face the main road within the churchyard of the Church of St Mary. It takes the form of a wheel-head cross with a central boss and Celtic knot-work in relief to the arms. It has a short, tapering shaft with a tapering panel of intricate knot- work carvings. The cross surmounts a tapering plinth and has a moulded foot for a base. The plinth bears the inscription on an incised granite plaque and reads:

IN MEMORY OF / THE GLORIOUS DEAD / 1914-1918 / [names] / GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN THAN THIS / THAT A MAN LAY DOWN HIS LIFE FOR HIS FRIENDS

The rear of the war memorial records a further loss:

IN LOVING MEMORY OF / A [name] / OBIT 22ND MARCH 1921

The Second World War inscription occupies the left side of the plinth and reads:

IN PROUD / REMEMBRANCE OF / [names] / WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES IN THE SECOND WORLD WAR / 1939-1945

Sources

Websites
The Second World War blog, 19 November 2013, ‘Hethersgill War Memorial, Cumbria , accessed 07 November 2019 from http://2ndww.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/hethersgill-war-memorial-cumbria.html
War Memorials Online - Hethersgill, accessed 07 November 2019 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/177236/
War Memorials Register, Imperial War Museum Inventory , accessed 07 November 2019 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/69335

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].