Nenthall War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1467848
Date first listed:
13-Jan-2020
Statutory Address:
Roadside, at small junction of A689, Nenthall, Cumbria, CA9 3LZ

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1467848.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2021 at 10:37:56.

Location

Statutory Address:
Roadside, at small junction of A689, Nenthall, Cumbria, CA9 3LZ

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cumbria
District:
Eden (District Authority)
Parish:
Alston Moor
National Grid Reference:
NY7596045780

Summary

First World War memorial, 1922.

Reasons for Designation

Nenthall War Memorial, 1922, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* by prolific stone masons Messrs Beattie & Co of Carlisle, it is a dignified memorial in the form of a granite Latin cross with a relief-carving of a sheathed sword through a wreath.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Nenthall as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by six local servicemen who lost their lives.

The war memorial was built by the firm of masons Messrs Beattie & Co of Carlisle, who were responsible for many war memorials in the north of England and in Scotland, some of which are Grade II listed.  It was unveiled in March 1920 at a well-attended ceremony presided over by Reverend J Price, superintendent Wesleyan minister and the lesson was read by Reverend CC Oyston. The hymn 'Thy will be done' was sung before the dedication prayer was offered by the primitive Methodist minister who was also an ex-forces chaplain. The memorial was unveiled by Mrs Walton Wilson, Shotley Hall who placed a wreath of laurel leaves and snowdrops.

Details

First World War memorial, 1922.

MATERIALS: grey granite.

DESCRIPTION: the war memorial is situated at a small junction on the A689, where it is prominently situated facing the road and visible to those passing by. It comprises a rough-hewn Latin cross with Celtic knot-work carving to the head and the short shaft. The cross sits upon a plinth formed out of a rough-hewn block, whose smoothed face carries the inscription on the right side, and a relief-carved sheathed sword through a wreath on the left side. The memorial is situated upon a rusticated base. The inscription in incised and blacked lettering reads:

IN HONOUR / OF THE MEN / OF NENTHALL / WHO FELL IN THE / GREAT WAR / 1914 - 1918 / (Names)

Sources

Websites
War Memorials Online - Nenthall, accessed 08 November 2019 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/162614/
War Memorials Register, Imperial War Museum Inventory , accessed 08 November 2019 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/48322
Other
Article in the Mid Cumberland and North Westmorlan Herald Alston Edition: Unveiling of Nenthall Memorial; 27 March 1920 edition

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].