A First World War memorial unveiled in 1921 and relocated in 1979, with later additions.
Reasons for Designation
Poulton-le-Fylde War Memorial, a First World War memorial unveiled in 1921 and relocated in 1979, with later additions, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.
* for the strong design interest of the memorial in the form of a market cross, with Art Nouveau inscriptions.
* with the nearby Church of St Chad (National Heritage List for England 1072401), 2 Market Place (NHLE 1204609), K6 telephone kiosk (NHLE 1073157), whipping post (NHLE 1072407), fish stones (NHLE 1072404), market cross (NHLE 1072405) and stocks (NHLE 1072406).
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Poulton le Fylde as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by 43 members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.
Poulton-le-Fylde War Memorial was unveiled in 1921. Originally erected in Queens Square, it was relocated to its current location on 1 August 1979 when the road layout was altered. The last name on the roll of honour has been blanked out, suggesting that a formerly missing soldier was found after the plaque was first prepared.
After the Second World War a similar plaque was made, listing 41 names. One name has been added at the end of this list, and an additional plaque lists a further three names. These plaques are now fixed to a modern slate plinth, and face the memorial. On the rear of this plinth an additional plaque commemorates a 2013 casualty of the war in Afghanistan.
A First World War memorial unveiled in 1921, and relocated in 1979, with later additions.
MATERIALS: granite, bronze, slate.
DESCRIPTION: standing in a small cobbled island at the north end of the market place the memorial comprises a pillar with a ball finial surmounted by a plain wheel-head cross. The square pillar has an octagonal foot. It stands on a square-on-plan plinth with corner mouldings, on an octagonal step. The south face of the plinth has a raised shield now bearing a timber plaque with the arms of the Duchy of Lancaster (carved and painted). Below this is a bronze plaque with the inscription in relief in Art Nouveau lettering: LOVE’S STRENGTH STANDETH IN LOVE’S SACRIFICE/ TO THE GLORIOUS/ MEMORY OF THE MEN/ OF POULTON LE FYLDE/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES/ IN THE GREAT WAR 1914-19/ “LIVE THOU FOR ENGLAND – WE FOR ENGLAND DIED”.
The east and west faces of the plinth bear bronze rolls of honour in similar lettering listing the names of the 43 fallen from the First World War. They are listed alphabetically by surname, without ranks.
To the north is a slate plinth with two bronze plaques listing the names of men who died in the Second World War. On the rear (north) face a modern plaque commemorates a soldier who died in Afghanistan in 2013.