Aldeburgh War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1468086
Date first listed:
29-Jan-2020
Location Description:
Statutory Address:
Market Cross Place, Crabbe Street, Aldeburgh, Suffolk

Map

Ordnance survey map of Aldeburgh War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1468086.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Mar-2020 at 16:27:26.

Location

Statutory Address:
Market Cross Place, Crabbe Street, Aldeburgh, Suffolk

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Location Description:
County:
Suffolk
District:
Suffolk Coastal (District Authority)
Parish:
Aldeburgh
National Grid Reference:
TM4654856829

Summary

War memorial, unveiled in 1921. Designed by Mr W Crum-Watson and built by Messrs Farmer and Brindley.

Reasons for Designation

Aldeburgh War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Architectural interest:

* as a good example of a Latin-cross type of war memorial that is accomplished in its design and execution.

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.

Group value:

* with a number of listed buildings including Moot Hall (Grade I), Moot House (Grade II), Mill Inn (Grade II) and Swiss Cottage (Grade II).

History

The great age of memorial building was in the aftermath of the First World War with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

Aldeburgh War Memorial commemorates the 84 parishioners who died during the First World War. Designed by Mr W Crum-Watson and built by Messrs Farmer and Brindley, it was unveiled on 2 January 1921 by Chief Officer D Day and Alderman Percy E Clark, the Town Mayor. The memorial was dedicated by the Reverend Canon S W Goldsmith.

The names of 20 servicemen and seven civilians from the parish, who died during the Second World War, were subsequently added to the memorial.

Erected on the sea front at Aldeburgh, the hexagonal memorial garden, bounded by railway sleepers, appears to be a mid-C20 addition. To the east side of the garden is a stone plaque inscribed IN MEMORY OF THOSE LIVES LOST IN ALDEBURGH AS A RESULT OF WAR OPERATIONS 1939 – 1945, and lists the names of 19 servicemen and 7 civilians.

Details

War memorial, unveiled in 1921. Designed by Mr W Crum-Watson and built by Messrs Farmer and Brindley.

MATERIALS: carved from Portland stone, with slate inscription panels.

DESCRIPTION: the memorial stands on a five-stepped hexagonal base and comprises an hexagonal pedestal surmounted by a tapering hexagonal column with a Latin cross bearing a relief-carving of the Sword of Sacrifice. To each face of the dado is a recessed inscription panel. Three are inscribed 1914–18 / ARMY / (NAMES), one is inscribed 1914–18/ ROYAL NAVY / (NAMES), and one 1939–45 / ROYAL NAVY / (NAMES) / ARMY / (NAMES) / MERCHANT NAVY / (NAME). The main inscription is to the east face of the dado and includes The Royal and Borough Arms to the top corners. The inscription reads:

THEY / WHOM THIS / MONUMENT COMMEMORATES / WERE HONOURED AMONG THOSE / WHO AT THE CALL OF / KING AND COUNTRY / LEFT ALL THAT WAS / DEAR TO THEM / ENDURED HARDSHIP / FACED DANGER AND FINALLY / PASSED OUT OF SIGHT / OF MEN BY THE PATH OF DUTY / AND SELF SACRIFICE / GIVING UP THEIR OWN LIVES / THAT OTHERS MIGHT LIVE IN / FREEDOM / Let them who come after see to it / that their names be not forgotten.

Beneath, carved in relief to the plinth of the pedestal, is the additional inscription:

ERECTED BY THEIR / FELLOW TOWNSFOLK.

A stone plaque has been added to the top step of the base beneath and is inscribed ‘CIVILIANS KILLED BY ENEMY ACTION’ and lists the names of 7 civilians below.

Sources

Websites
Aldeburgh, accessed 20 November 2019 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/117297/
Aldeburgh, accessed 20 November 2019 from https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/5407

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].