Layham War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1468467
Date first listed:
09-Mar-2020
Statutory Address:
Layham Burial Ground, Lower Street, Layham, Suffolk, IP7 5LZ

Map

Ordnance survey map of Layham War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1468467.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 08-Apr-2020 at 10:54:19.

Location

Statutory Address:
Layham Burial Ground, Lower Street, Layham, Suffolk, IP7 5LZ

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Babergh (District Authority)
Parish:
Layham
National Grid Reference:
TM0301140300

Summary

A war memorial erected in 1919 in the village of Layham, Suffolk.

Reasons for Designation

Layham War Memorial, erected in 1919 is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* as an imposing example of a wheel-cross type of war memorial.

Group value:

* with the Church of St Andrew (listed at Grade II).

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead; therefore the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

One such memorial was raised at Layham as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War. The memorial was unveiled and dedicated on Thursday 4 December 1919 by the Lord Bishop of St Edmundsbury and Ipswich.

The names of those parishioners who fell during the Second World War were subsequently added to the memorial.

Details

A war memorial erected in 1919 in the churchyard of the Church of St Andrew, Layham in Suffolk.

MATERIALS: the memorial is formed of pale grey granite, the body of the memorial smooth-faced, whilst the lower steps of the base are rock-faced.

DETAILS: the memorial stands in a prominent position at the centre of the village burial ground, on the opposite side of the road to the Church of St Andrew (listed at Grade II). It comprises a wheel cross and tapered shaft set on a deep tapered plinth standing on a three-stepped base.

The main inscription on the east face of the plinth reads: TO THE/ GLORY OF GOD/ AND TO THE MEMORY OF/ THOSE WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES/ FOR THEIR COUNTRY/ AND IN COMMEMORATION/ OF THE SERVICES OF THE/ MEN OF THIS PARISH/ WHO FOUGHT IN THE/ GREAT WAR/ 1914 – 1918. The names of the fallen are on the north and south faces of the plinth. A further inscription on the west face of the plinth reads: 1939 – 1945/ (NAMES).

Sources

Websites
Hadleigh Great War Centenary Project 2014-2018 , accessed 25 July 2017 from http://www.hadleighww1.com/layham-1/
War Memorials Online, Layham, accessed 25 July 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/248828/
War Memorials Register, Imperial War Museum , accessed 25 July 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/4457

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].