Campsea Ashe War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1468481
Date first listed:
09-Mar-2020
Statutory Address:
St John the Baptist Churchyard, Station Road, Campsea Ashe, Suffolk, IP13 0PU

Map

Ordnance survey map of Campsea Ashe War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1468481.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Mar-2020 at 08:07:56.

Location

Statutory Address:
St John the Baptist Churchyard, Station Road, Campsea Ashe, Suffolk, IP13 0PU

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Suffolk Coastal (District Authority)
Parish:
Campsey Ash
National Grid Reference:
TM3302255929

Summary

A war memorial unveiled in 1920, located in the churchyard of the Church of St John the Baptist, Campsea Ashe, in Suffolk.

Reasons for Designation

Campsea Ashe War Memorial in Suffolk, unveiled in 1920, standing in the churchyard of the Church of St John the Baptist, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the First World War.

Architectural interest:

* as a fine example of a Sword of Sacrifice churchyard war memorial.

Group value:

* the memorial stands close to the Church of St John the Baptist (listed at Grade II*), Church Farmhouse (listed at Grade II), Smithy Cottage (listed at Grade II) and The Old Rectory (listed at Grade II).

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead; therefore the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

One such memorial was raised in the churchyard at Campsea Ashe as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War. The memorial was unveiled on Tuesday 25 May 1920 by the Bishop of St Edmundsbury and Ipswich.

Details

A war memorial unveiled in 1920, located in the churchyard of the Church of St John the Baptist, Campsea Ashe, in Suffolk.

MATERIALS: the monument is made of ashlar stone, with a polished marble base and steps.

DETAILS: the memorial stands at the north-eastern extent of the churchyard of the Church of St John the Baptist (listed Grade II*), adjacent to a major road junction. The site is overlooked by Church Farmhouse (listed at Grade II), Smithy Cottage (listed at Grade II) and The Old Rectory (listed at Grade II).

The memorial comprises a tall, slender Latin cross with a hexagonal shaft and arms, set atop a tall hexagonal base. These stand on a hexagonal step, which in turn sits on a large square plinth set into the ground. The front (north) face of the cross bears a bronze Sword of Sacrifice.

The main inscription in blackened letters is located on the north-east, north and north-west faces of the hexagonal step and reads: (north-east) TO THE GLORY OF GOD (north) AND IN MEMORY OF THE (north-west) MEN OF CAMPSEA ASHE/ (north-east) WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES (north) FOR THEIR COUNTRY (north-west) 1914–1918.

On the front of the square plinth is inscribed PASS FRIEND – ALL IS WELL.

The names of the fallen and their regiments are listed on all six faces of the plinth.

Sources

Websites
War Memorials Online - Campsea Ashe, accessed 23 August 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/117253/
War Memorials Register, Imperial War Museum, accessed 23 August 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/5451
Other
East Anglian Daily Times, 27 May 1920

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].