Culford Estate War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1469234
Date first listed:
12-Mar-2020
Statutory Address:
Culford Village Hall, The Street, Culford, St Edmundsbury, IP28 6DN

Map

Ordnance survey map of Culford Estate War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1469234.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Mar-2020 at 21:48:49.

Location

Statutory Address:
Culford Village Hall, The Street, Culford, St Edmundsbury, IP28 6DN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
St. Edmundsbury (District Authority)
Parish:
Culford
National Grid Reference:
TL8379570492

Summary

First World War memorial, 1921, with later addition for the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

Culford Estate War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifice it has made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* it has a simple design, in the form of an obelisk, is fitting for its purpose as a memorial structure.

Group value:

* it groups well with Rede Lodge (Grade II) and is adjacent to Culford Park, a Grade-II Registered Park and Garden.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised on the Culford Estate as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by 23 men from the parishes of Culford, Ingham, West Stow and Wordwell who worked on the Culford Estate and lost their lives in the First World War. It was designed by architect Sidney Naish of Bury St Edmunds, made by stonemasons Hanchets and F H Goddard. The memorial was unveiled on 11 November 1921 by Earl Cadogan of Culford Hall, the Reverend Mahomed, Rector of Ingham, officiated at the service.

Following the Second World War a further plaque was added to commemorate nine men from the four parishes who died during this conflict.

Details

First World War memorial, 1921, with later addition for the Second World War.

DESCRIPTION: the memorial stands in a prominent location in front of the village hall. It comprises a large obelisk of Portland stone with a square plinth and a two-stepped square base. It stands approximately 4.5m high. The front (west) face of the obelisk has a bronze laurel wreath carrying the following inscription in raised lettering:

THIS MEMORIAL/ WAS ERECTED IN/ GRATEFUL MEMORY/ OF THE MEN/ OF/ THE CULFORD ESTATE/ WHO FELL IN/ THE GREAT WAR/ 1914 – 1918/ FAITHFUL UNTO DEATH

Each face of the plinth has the name of one of four parishes carved in relief: CULFORD (west), INGHAM (north), WEST STOW (east) and WORDWELL (south). The names of the fallen are incised on three bronze plaques attached to the west, east and north faces of the plinth. A square, bronze plaque on the west face of the obelisk beneath the laurel wreath is inscribed:

IN GRATEFUL MEMORY OF/ THE MEN OF THE FOUR PARISHES/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES IN THE/ SECOND WORLD WAR 1939–1945/ (NAMES)



Sources

Websites
Culford Estate War Memorial, accessed 4 February 2020 from http://www.undyingmemory.net/Culford-estate/culfordestate-memorial.html
War Memorials Online, Culford Estate War Memorial, accessed 4 February 2020 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/130859
War Memorials Register, Culford Estate Memorial, accessed 4 February 2020 from https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/5123

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].