Orford War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1469417
Date first listed:
28-Apr-2020
Statutory Address:
St Bartholomew's Churchyard, Church Street, Junction of Market Hill and High Street, Orford, Suffolk, IP12 2LL

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1469417.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 03-Dec-2021 at 05:07:00.

Location

Statutory Address:
St Bartholomew's Churchyard, Church Street, Junction of Market Hill and High Street, Orford, Suffolk, IP12 2LL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
East Suffolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Orford
National Grid Reference:
TM4222549961

Summary

First World War Memorial, dedicated in 1920, with names added after the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

Orford War Memorial, which is situated in the Churchyard of St Bartholomew and was unveiled in 1920, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* as a simple but well-executed granite wheeled cross.

Group value:

* for its relationship with the Grade I listed Church of St Bartholomew (List entry: 1377119) and numerous Grade II listed buildings in Church Street and Market Hill. It makes a positive contribution to the Orford Conservation Area.

History

The concept of commemorating war dead did not develop to any great extent until towards the end of the C19. Previously, memorials were rare and were mainly dedicated to individual officers, or sometimes regiments. The first large-scale erection of war memorials dedicated to the ordinary soldier followed the Second Boer War of 1899-1902, the first major war following reforms to the British Army which led to regiments being recruited from local communities and with volunteer soldiers. However, it was the aftermath of the First World War that was the great age of memorial building, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

Orford War Memorial was designed by Mr BA Hatcher and built by G Maile & Son of Euston Road, London. The engraving was undertaken by the firm of Albert C Stephenson.

It was unveiled on 31 October 1920 by Colonel Eaton White to commemorate the 29 local servicemen who fell in the First World War. It was rededicated on 2 July 1950 after the 11 names of the fallen from the Second World War had been added.

In September 2005 conservation work was carried out on the memorial with the help of grant aid from War Memorials Trust.

Details

First World War Memorial, dedicated in 1920, with names added after the Second World War.

Orford War Memorial is located within the churchyard of the Grade I listed St Bartholomew’s, approximately seven metres south of the south porch of the church.

It consists of a rough hewn granite wheel-headed cross with a reversed sword carved in relief on its front face running down the shaft. The shaft rises from a tapering square plinth on a single stepped square base. There is raised enamelled lettering on two sides of the plinth.

The dedication begins on the base of the shaft with TO/ THE GLORY OF GOD/ AND, the front face of the plinth continues IN LOVING GRATEFUL MEMORY OF/ THE ORFORD MEN/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES IN/ THE GREAT WAR 1919 – 1918/ (NAMES)/ “THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE”. On a second face of the plinth is a later inserted plaque inscribed REMEMBER BEFORE GOD/ THOSE WHOSE LIVES/ HAVE BEEN SACRIFICD IN/ THE WAR 1939 – 1945/ (NAMES)/ DEATH IS SWALLOWED UP IN VICTORY/ 1 COR.15.

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].