Linhay at Byes Farm

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1469627
Date first listed:
14-Apr-2020
Statutory Address:
Lower Millhayes, Hemyock, Cullompton, EX15 3TA

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1469627.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2021 at 01:53:54.

Location

Statutory Address:
Lower Millhayes, Hemyock, Cullompton, EX15 3TA

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
Mid Devon (District Authority)
Parish:
Hemyock
National Grid Reference:
ST1449014014

Summary

Linhay, C18 with C20 alterations.

Reasons for Designation

The linhay at Byes Farm is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Architectural interest:

* despite the losses and alterations, this is a distinctive vernacular building which retains a good proportion of C18 fabric; * its function is clearly demonstrated by the adjoining cart unloading area, the former open front and the cattle stalls.

Historic interest:

* as part of a largely-complete C18 farmstead which illustrates the character and development of local farming practices within the context of the overall national patterns in farming history.

Group value:

* with the other Grade II-listed farm buildings which are linked by their date and appearance.

History

Byes Farm has its origins in the C17. The farm buildings date principally from the C18, with some updating, alterations and additions in the C19 and C20.

The earliest map evidence for the farm is the 1809 Ordnance Survey map, although the individual buildings are not clearly depicted. It is shown clearly on the Tithe Map for Hemyock of 1841, where there is an L-shaped range of farm buildings loosely forming the north and east sides of a yard, with a U-shaped range to the south and the farmhouse to the west. The accompanying apportionment records that Byes, as it was then described, was owned by William Farrant and occupied by James Mitchell. Late-C19 trade directories record that it was a dairy farm during this period and remained as such throughout the C20. The farmhouse was partially demolished in the 1970s and was replaced with the current dwelling immediately to the south of the extant portion of the earlier house.

Map regression indicates that the cartshed at the south-west corner of the farmstead was extended at its north end sometime before 1841, and that the stable building was altered and refitted in the late C19. The footprint of the farm buildings remains, however, relatively consistent through the OS maps of 1889, 1905 and 1964. The map of 1964 does show that the milking shed and a lean-to structure to the rear of the stables had by then been added to the farmstead. The fabric of the farm buildings indicates various phases of adaptation and repair. The linhay was originally a longer structure that extended further eastwards, and it was foreshortened to its current footprint when the adjacent milking shed was built. In more recent years the roof coverings to the buildings have been replaced with metal corrugated sheeting, and the rear wall at the north-east corner of the U-shaped range has been rebuilt.

Details

Linhay, C18 with C20 alterations.

MATERIALS: it is constructed of random rubble stone and timber-framed to the front, with a corrugated-metal roof covering. Various repairs and alterations in concrete block.

PLAN: the agricultural buildings are grouped loosely around two yards. The LINHAY to the north, and milking shed, barn and stables building to the east form an L-shaped plan around a yard. There is a second group of farm buildings consisting of animal housing, probably a calves’ house, and a cartshed to the south which enclose three sides of a small yard.

The linhay is rectangular on plan. Its footprint was originally longer, extending further to the east, and its current footprint dates from when the adjacent milking shed was added in the C20.

EXTERIOR: it is a two-storey, linear range, now of seven irregular bays, which was built to provide cattle housing with a hayloft above. It faces onto the farmyard and was originally open-fronted. The wide, left-hand bay is a full-height covered way from where the hayloft could also be accessed for loading and/or unloading. Bays two to five have timber posts on stone pads, several replaced with concrete, and the former open bays between have been infilled with concrete blocks to the ground floor and corrugated sheeting to the upper level. These contain various door and window openings. The front elevation of the narrower, eastern bay is built rendered concrete blocks, as is the east gable wall. It has a C20 plank door and multi-paned window with a concrete cill. The rear and west elevations are stone rubble, and there are first-floor taking-in openings to the rear, one contains a wooden door, the other one has partially collapsed.

INTERIOR: the building formerly provided cattle housing with a hayloft above. The ground floor retains the remains of wooden cattle stalls which have been repaired and reinforced, a brick feeding trough and a concrete floor, although an earlier cobbled floor is evident. A piped water supply system has been added in the C20. One of the bays, at the west end, has been partitioned off to provide a separate stall, and the eastern bay can only be accessed externally. The hayloft is one large, open space which opens onto the covered way to the west. The roof comprises lapped principal rafters that are pegged at the apex, later collars, a ridge piece, single row of purlins and common rafters.

Sources

Other
1841 Tithe Map of Hemyock
AB Heritage, August 2015, Byes Farm, Hemyock, Devon. Historic Building Evaluation
March 2016, Heritage Statement. Proposed extension, alterations to farmhouse to Byes Farm, Hemyock, Devon

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].