Little Oakley War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1469631
Date first listed:
21-Oct-2020
Statutory Address:
Little Oakley War Memorial, Village Green, Corner of Bayview Crescent & Lodge Road, Little Oakley, Essex, CO12 5ED

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1469631.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 04-Dec-2021 at 18:12:22.

Location

Statutory Address:
Little Oakley War Memorial, Village Green, Corner of Bayview Crescent & Lodge Road, Little Oakley, Essex, CO12 5ED

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Essex
District:
Tendring (District Authority)
Parish:
Little Oakley
National Grid Reference:
TM2220129805

Summary

A First World War Memorial erected in 1920 with names added after the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

Little Oakley War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest

* as an unusual example of a square-headed Celtic cross.

History

The concept of commemorating war dead did not develop to any great extent until towards the end of the C19. Previously, memorials were rare and were mainly dedicated to individual officers, or sometimes regiments. The first large-scale erection of war memorials dedicated to the ordinary soldier followed the Second Boer War of 1899-1902, the first major war following reforms to the British Army which led to regiments being recruited from local communities and with volunteer soldiers. However, it was the aftermath of the First World War that was the great age of memorial building, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Little Oakley as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by eight members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.

The memorial was originally located at the Church of St Mary in Little Oakley, where it was dedicated on 21 March 1920. When the church closed, the memorial was relocated to Little Oakley Methodist Chapel in 1981 and following the closure of that chapel it was relocated to Little Oakley Memorial Hall in 2004. In 2012 the memorial was relocated to its present location. Following the Second World War the names of the fallen from that conflict were added to the memorial.

Details

Little Oakley War Memorial, dedicated on 21 March 1920.

MATERIALS: Granite

DESCRIPTION: Little Oakley War Memorial is located on the green at the corner of Bayview Crescent and Lodge Road.

It takes the form of a rough-hewn granite square Celtic cross. The cross shaft rises from a tapering plinth, square on plan, set on a square base. The front and rear faces of the plinth are recessed and smooth and bear the incised black-painted inscriptions.

The front face of the plinth reads TO THE GLORY OF GOD/ AND IN MEMORY OF THE FOLLOWING/ MEN OF THIS PARISH WHO FELL/ SERVING THEIR COUNTRY DURING THE/ GREAT WAR 1914 – 1918/ (EIGHT NAMES). The rear face is inscribed SECOND WORLD WAR 1939-1945/ (FOUR NAMES)/ 1946/ (NAME).

The memorial stands on a small square of concrete set within a wider grassed area. Two rectangular granite blocks are set into the floor by the memorial, one to the front and one to the rear. The block to the rear details the various locations of the memorial and the dates of relocation, while the block to the front is blank.

Sources

Websites
Imperial War Museum, War Memorials Register, accessed 24 February 2020 from https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/22883

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].