Wymondham War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1469633
Date first listed:
22-Feb-2021
Statutory Address:
7 metres south of the Church of St Peter, St Peter's Churchyard, Church Lane, Wymondham, Leicestershire, LE14 2AS

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1469633.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Feb-2021 at 17:39:03.

Location

Statutory Address:
7 metres south of the Church of St Peter, St Peter's Churchyard, Church Lane, Wymondham, Leicestershire, LE14 2AS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Leicestershire
District:
Melton (District Authority)
Parish:
Wymondham
National Grid Reference:
SK8514918638

Summary

A First World War memorial, dedicated in 1919, with names added after the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

Wymondham War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest

* as an eye-catching and elegant wheel-head cross.

Group value

* for its group value with the Grade I listed Church of St Peter and with the scheduled and Grade II listed former market cross.

History

The concept of commemorating war dead did not develop to any great extent until towards the end of the C19. Previously, memorials were rare and were mainly dedicated to individual officers, or sometimes regiments. The first large-scale erection of war memorials dedicated to the ordinary soldier followed the Second Boer War of 1899-1902, the first major war following reforms to the British Army which led to regiments being recruited from local communities and with volunteer soldiers. However, it was the aftermath of the First World War that was the great age of memorial building, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

Wymondham, like many rural Leicestershire war memorials, is situated within a churchyard. The memorial commemorates 14 local servicemen who fell in the First World War and ten men who fell in the Second World War.

The plans were approved at a public meeting on 19 February 1919, and the memorial scheme was supervised by Mr W Tomlinson, clerk of works to the Stapleford estate. The memorial was made by Belton and Goddard, of Stamford. The cost at the time was estimated at £130, and was raised by public subscription. £20 was left over and used as an ‘endowment’ for the upkeep of the monument.

The memorial was unveiled on 1 November 1919 by Colonel John Gretton MP of Stapleford Park and it was dedicated by the Rural Dean, the Reverend F B A Williams.

The slate plaques now affixed to the plinth were added following the Second World War, when the inscription was changed to include those who fell in that conflict. The rededication following their addition took place on 3 April 1949 and was attended by Mr Rupert Payne.

Details

A First World War memorial, dedicated in 1919, with names added after the Second World War.

MATERIALS: Corby stone and slate.

PLAN: square on plan and prominently situated near to the south door of the church.

DESCRIPTION: Wymondham War Memorial stands 4m high and comprises a wheel-head cross on a tapering, square shaft surmounted by a square capital with a cornice. It rests on a square plinth with slate plaques, and a four-stepped octagonal stone base. The plinth bears the inscriptions in incised lettering which read: THIS MEMORIAL CROSS/ BEARS THE HONOURED NAMES/ OF THE MEN OF THIS PARISH/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES/ IN THE GREAT WAR 1914 - 1918/ OR IN THAT OF 1939 - 1945/ AND IT IS DEDICATED TO THEM/ BY THEIR FELLOW VILLAGERS/ IN GRATEFUL REMEMBRANCE// 1914 - 1918/ (NAMES)// 1939 - 1945/ (NAMES).The memorial stands on a square foundation and is bounded by eight low posts connected by twisted iron bars.

Sources

Websites
Imperial War Museum: War Memorials Register, accessed 24/02/2020 from https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/14792
Leicestershire War Memorials Project, accessed 25 January 2021 from http://www.leicestershirewarmemorials.co.uk/war/memorials/view/1309
Wymonham Conservation Area Appraisal, accessed 25 January 2021 from http://www.melton.gov.uk/directory_record/2467/wymondham

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].