Islip War Memorial Park Entrance Gates

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1469646
Date first listed:
15-Apr-2020
Location Description:
Islip War Memorial Park Entrance Gates, Northamptonshire is being considered for listing as part of our response to the centenary of the First World War.
Statutory Address:
Islip Memorial Park, High Street, Islip, Northamptonshire, NN14 3JS

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1469646.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 04-Dec-2021 at 20:15:29.

Location

Statutory Address:
Islip Memorial Park, High Street, Islip, Northamptonshire, NN14 3JS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Location Description:
Islip War Memorial Park Entrance Gates, Northamptonshire is being considered for listing as part of our response to the centenary of the First World War.
District:
North Northamptonshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Islip
National Grid Reference:
SP9874779016

Summary

A pair of entrance gate piers designed as a war memorial and dedicated in 1920, completed in limestone to the designs of John Alfred Gotch.

Reasons for Designation

Islip War Memorial Park Entrance Gates are listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest: * as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest: * as a good example of the work of John Alfred Gotch, a well-regarded architect especially notable for his works in Northamptonshire.

History

The concept of commemorating war dead did not develop to any great extent until towards the end of the C19. Previously, memorials were rare and were mainly dedicated to individual officers, or sometimes regiments. The first large-scale erection of war memorials dedicated to the ordinary soldier followed the Second Boer War of 1899-1902, the first major war following reforms to the British Army which led to regiments being recruited from local communities and with volunteer soldiers. However, it was the aftermath of the First World War that was the great age of memorial building, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

The memorial gate piers stand at the entrance to the village recreation ground which was laid out as part of the same commemorative programme. They are located on the high street, in the historic centre of Islip. It was dedicated in 1920 and the land was given by SG Sackville Esquire of Drayton House, located nearby, now called the Manor House, (Grade II, List entry 1040324). The piers were designed by the architect John Alfred Gotch (1852-1942). Gotch operated chiefly in Kettering and London, and was in partnership with Charles Saunders and Henry Ralph Surridge (their firm still exists as Gotch, Saunders and Surridge LLP). Their practice was responsible for several structures now entered on the List, including the Kettering Cenotaph (Grade II, List entry 1426574), and the church of St Mary, Toller St, Kettering (Grade II*, List entry 1051645). Gotch was the first president of the RIBA without a London office (1923-1925).

Details

A pair of entrance gate piers designed as a war memorial and dedicated in 1920, completed in limestone to the designs of John Alfred Gotch.

Description: Each pier is square in section and rises in two stages to a ball finial. Engaged pilasters to the side of each pier rise up the first stage and terminate in a console. Facing the high street on the first stage are inscriptions on each column, with identical wreaths above them on the second stage. The inscriptions read (left hand pier): THIS SITE/ WAS PRESENTED TO/ THE PARISH OF ISLIP/ FOR A/ RECREATION GROUND / BY/ S. G. STOPFORD SACKVILLE ESQ/ OF DRAYTON HOUSE AT THE CLOSE OF THE/ GREAT WAR 1914-1919, (right hand pier): THIS MEMORIAL/ WAS ERECTED & THE/ GROUND LAID OUT/ BY THE PARISHIONERS/ IN REMEMBRANCE OF THE/ NATIVES OF ISLIP WHO DIED,/ & IN GRATITUDE TO/ THOSE WHO SERVED, &/ WHOSE NAMES ARE RECORDED/ IN THE PARISH CHURCH.

Sources

Books and journals
Brodie, A, Directory of British Architects 1834-1914 Volume 1 A-K, (2001), 757-759
Websites
War Memorials Online: Islip Memorial Park, accessed 25 February 2020 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/82547
Other
Islip Conservation Area Character Appraisal and Designation Statement (21/5/2013)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].