Bridley Manor War Memorial


Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:
situated at the junction of Bagshot Road (A322) and Berry Lane (B380).
Statutory Address:
situated at the junction of Bagshot Road (A322) and Berry Lane (B380)., GU3 3PU


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1469800.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2021 at 20:59:40.


Statutory Address:
situated at the junction of Bagshot Road (A322) and Berry Lane (B380).
Statutory Address:
situated at the junction of Bagshot Road (A322) and Berry Lane (B380)., GU3 3PU

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Woking (District Authority)
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:


First World War memorial, erected in 1922 and designed by the London Necropolis Company Ltd.

Reasons for Designation

Bridley Manor War Memorial, 1922, designed by the London Necropolis Company Ltd, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* as a simple but well-crafted example of a popular form of First World War memorial designed by the locally-based London Necropolis Company Ltd.


The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across the country. The huge impact on communities of the loss of three-quarters of a million British lives, along with the official policy of not repatriating the dead, meant that memorials became the main focus of remembrance.

One such memorial was erected between Bridley Manor and Fox Corner in Pirbright as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by troops stationed at nearby Bullswater and Pirbright Camps who lost their lives in the First World War. The memorial marks the spot that thousands of men who trained at the camps would have passed by on their way to the front.

The site on which the memorial stands was gifted by Captain T W Craig. The memorial was designed by the London Necropolis Company Ltd and funded by Mr and Mrs Cecil Braithwaite, the occupants of Bridley Manor. It was unveiled by Major-General Sir Richard H K Butler on 7 January 1922.

The memorial was knocked over by a vehicle in 1954 but was re-erected by the original makers. It was repaired once more in 1977, and fully restored by Woking Borough Council in 1994 with a rededication service taking place on 12 November that year.


War memorial, erected in 1922 and designed by the London Necropolis Company Ltd.

MATERIALS: Cornish granite.

DESCRIPTION: rough-hewn Cornish granite Celtic cross with a tapering, square-section shaft. The cross is supported by a tapering base on a single-stepped rectangular plinth. A stylized sword, point down, is carved in low relief on the front face of the cross. The cross-guard of the sword is aligned with the arms of the cross. A carved panel on the front face of the base bears the inscription: "LEST WE FORGET"/ TO THE GLORY OF GOD/ AND IN THE HONOURED MEMORY/ OF THOSE OF OUR FORCES/ WHO PASSED THIS SPOT/ AND WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES/ FOR THE COUNTRY/ IN THE GREAT WAR/ 1914-1918.

The memorial is located in the centre of a small green at the junction of Bagshot Road and Berry Lane, close to Fox Corner, Pirbright.


Article on Bridley Manor War Memorial, accessed 4 March 2020 from
Exploring Surrey's Past, accessed 4 March 2020 from
War Memorials Register, accessed 4 March 2020 from


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].