Stanton War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1469926
Date first listed:
22-May-2020
Statutory Address:
Oldbury Road, Junction of The Street, Stanton, St Edmundsbury, IP31 2DB

Map

Ordnance survey map of Stanton War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1469926.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 31-May-2020 at 18:55:38.

Location

Statutory Address:
Oldbury Road, Junction of The Street, Stanton, St Edmundsbury, IP31 2DB

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
St. Edmundsbury (District Authority)
Parish:
Stanton
National Grid Reference:
TL9664273451

Summary

First World War memorial, unveiled in 1921, with names added after the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

Stanton War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Architectural interest:

* it is a well-detailed memorial in the form of an equal-armed cross echoing the design of the C7 Ixworth cross nearby. Historic interest:

* it is an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.

Group value:

* it has group value with numerous nearby listed buildings, notably the Grade II* listed Church of All Saints, and London House, Willow House and Rosley, all listed at Grade II.

History

The aftermath of the First World War was the great age of memorial building, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

One such memorial was raised at Stanton as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War. It was designed and constructed by Messrs R Dawson and Company, Bradford, at a total cost of £150 which was raised by public subscription. Local newspaper reports indicate that these funds had been collected and the memorial ordered as early as September 1919 but that a significant delay was caused by the contractor being unable to procure the particular type of granite required. The memorial was unveiled on Sunday 6 November 1921 by Colonel H Cooper.

The names of those parishioners who fell during the Second World War were subsequently added to the memorial.

Details

First World War memorial, unveiled in 1921, with names added after the Second World War.

MATERIALS: pale grey Creetown granite.

PLAN: the memorial stands in a prominent location at the main crossroads in the centre of the village, close to numerous listed buildings including the Grade II* listed Church of All Saints, London House, Willow House and Rosley, all listed at Grade II.

EXTERIOR: it is in the form of an equal-armed cross on a tapering rectangular shaft with a tapering plinth onto which has been applied Pennine limestone to create a cairn-like appearance. The cross is decorated on both faces with a raised circular central boss and smaller circular bosses at the centre of each of the arms of the cross, echoing the design of the C7 Ixworth cross which was discovered nearby. The memorial is enclosed by a kerb and six granite posts on which are bronze laurel wreaths, with iron railings between.

The main inscription is incised and black-painted lettering on the north face of the plinth reads: THIS MONUMENT IS ERECTED/ TO THE MEMORY OF THE MEN OF/ STANTON WHO MADE THE SUPREME/ SACRIFICE IN THE GREAT WAR/ 1914/1918.

The names of the 23 men who gave their lives in the First World War are in black lettering on the north face of the cross shaft.

A further inscription has been added to the south face of the cross shaft: 1939-1945/ (4 NAMES).

Sources

Websites
Imperial War Museum War Memorials Register , accessed 16 June 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/5266
War Memorials Online database , accessed 16 June 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/147753/
Other
‘Stanton War Memorial’, Bury Free Press, Saturday 12 November 1921

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].

Back
to top