Erwarton War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1470057
Date first listed:
29-May-2020
Statutory Address:
St Mary the Virgin's Churchyard, The Street, Erwarton, Suffolk, IP9 1LJ

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1470057.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Jul-2021 at 15:02:47.

Location

Statutory Address:
St Mary the Virgin's Churchyard, The Street, Erwarton, Suffolk, IP9 1LJ

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Babergh (District Authority)
Parish:
Arwarton
National Grid Reference:
TM2207334693

Summary

A First World War memorial, unveiled 1920; altered after the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

Erwarton War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* as a simple yet evocative example of a Latin cross bearing the Sword of Sacrifice.

Group value:

* with the Church of St Mary (Grade I) and the Erwarton Almshouses (Grade II).

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead: therefore the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Erwarton as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the six members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.

The memorial was constructed by Mr E Saunders of Ipswich. It was unveiled on Sunday 25 July 1920 by Captain G St John, when it was also dedicated by Rev R J Utten Todd, the rector of Erwarton.

The name of one parishioner who fell during the Second World War was subsequently added to the memorial.

Details

A First World War memorial, unveiled 1920; altered after the Second World War.

MATERIALS: Portland stone.

DESCRIPTION: the memorial stands in a prominent position beside the entrance to the churchyard, close to the Church of St Mary.

The memorial comprises a Latin cross with capped arms on a two-tier square pedestal and single-stepped square base. The north face of the cross bears a relief-carved Sword of Sacrifice. The main inscription in incised lettering on the north face of the plinth reads: IN MEMORY OF THE / MEN OF THIS PARISH / WHO FELL IN THE / 1914 GREAT WAR 1918 followed by the names of the six men who fell in that conflict. A further inscription on the east face of the plinth reads: 1939 – 1945 and the name of the one person who fell.

Sources

Websites
Geograph: War memorial in Erwarton churchyard, accessed 23/03/2020 from https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4422647
Imperial War Museum War Memorials Register – Erwarton , accessed 23/03/2020 from https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/4425
War Memorials Online – Erwarton War Memorial , accessed 23/03/2020 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/267491/
Other
East Anglian Daily Times, 26 July 1920

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].