Great Cornard War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1470081
Date first listed:
11-May-2020
Statutory Address:
Great Cornard War Memorial, St Andrew's Churchyard, Church Road, Great Cornard, Suffolk, CO10 0EL

Map

Ordnance survey map of Great Cornard War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1470081.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-May-2020 at 08:57:39.

Location

Statutory Address:
Great Cornard War Memorial, St Andrew's Churchyard, Church Road, Great Cornard, Suffolk, CO10 0EL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Babergh (District Authority)
Parish:
Great Cornard
National Grid Reference:
TL8832040364

Summary

A First World War memorial, unveiled 1920, altered after the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

Great Cornard War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest: * as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest: * as a well-executed example of a small Latin cross type of war memorial.

Group value: * with the Grade I-listed Church of St Andrew.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead: therefore the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Great Cornard as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the 33 members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.

It was designed by Messrs Earee and Haslewood, erected by Messrs SB Peagrum, and the lettering engraved by FJ Lindley. The total cost of the memorial was approximately £200, which was met by public subscription. The memorial was unveiled on Sunday 24 October 1920 by the Lord Lieutenant Sir T Courtenay Warner KCB.

The names of those parishioners who fell during the Second World War were subsequently added to the memorial.

Details

A First World War memorial, unveiled 1920, altered after the Second World War.

MATERIALS: Portland stone.

DESCRIPTION: The memorial stands in the south corner of the churchyard of the Church of St Andrew, beside the junction of Church Road and Bures Road.

The memorial comprises a small Latin cross on top of a tapering octagonal shaft with an octagonal plinth and four-stepped base. The main inscription is incised and the black-painted lettering on the south face of the upper step of the base reads: TO THE GLORY OF GOD / AND IN MEMORY OF THOSE / FROM THIS PARISH WHO / GAVE THEIR LIVES IN THE / GREAT WAR 1914-1918 / THEY DIED THAT WE MIGHT LIVE. The names of the 33 fallen are inscribed on the south-west, south and south-east faces of the plinth.

Further inscriptions on the upper step of the base commemorate those who lost their lives in the Second World War, and read: on the south-east face 1939-45 followed by five names; and on the south-west face 1939-45 and a further five names.

Sources

Websites
Imperial War Museum War Memorials Register – Great Cornard Parish Church, accessed 24/03/2020 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/4415
War Memorials Online – Great Cornard, accessed 24/03/2020 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/151057/
Other
‘War Memorial unveiled by the Lord-Lieutenant’, Suffolk and Essex Free Press, Wednesday 27 October 1920

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].

Back
to top