Palgrave War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1470229
Date first listed:
29-May-2020
Statutory Address:
St Peter's Churchyard, Lion Road, Palgrave, Suffolk, IP22 1AN

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1470229.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 03-Aug-2021 at 11:48:50.

Location

Statutory Address:
St Peter's Churchyard, Lion Road, Palgrave, Suffolk, IP22 1AN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Mid Suffolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Palgrave
National Grid Reference:
TM1155878448

Summary

A First World War memorial unveiled in 1920, altered following the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

Palgrave War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Architectural Interest:

*     as a good example of a carved Celtic cross.

Historic Interest:

*     as an eloquent witness to the tragic impacts of world events on this community, and the sacrifices it made in the conflicts of the C20.

Group value:

* with the Church of St Peter (Grade I), the K6 telephone kiosk and other churchyard memorials (all Grade II).

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead: therefore the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Palgrave as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the 15 members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War. The names of the seven parishioners who fell during the Second World War were subsequently added to the memorial.

The cross is located in a prominent position south of the Grade I listed Church of St Peter, between the porch and tower. It is in sight of the main gate in the churchyard wall to Lion Road. The memorial cross was supplied by Messrs Maile and Son of London and the flint base was built by Mr Ruffels of Palgrave. The memorial was unveiled on 21 March 1920 by Lieutenant Walter Clarke and dedicated by the Reverend E Lloyd Savory, Rector of Palgrave. The total cost of the memorial was around £130 which was raised by public subscription.

Details

A First World War memorial unveiled in 1920, altered following the Second World War.

MATERIALS: Granite

DESCRIPTION: The memorial is a 2.4m high Celtic cross. The cross has a circular boss to its centre. Its arms are decorated with knotwork in carved relief. The cross is supported by a tapered shaft on a plinth of two stages. The plinth sits on a square base, below which is a square platform of flint rubble.

The main inscription on the south face reads: (on cross shaft) IN/ LOVING/ MEMORY/ OF/ (on the upper stage of the plinth) (15 NAMES)/ (on the lower stage of the plinth) WHO LAID DOWN THEIR LIVES IN THE GREAT WAR/ 1914-1918

An additional inscription on the west face reads: (on cross shaft) IN/ LOVING/ MEMORY/ OF/ (on the upper stage of the plinth) (7 NAMES)/ (on the lower stage of the plinth) WHO LAID DOWN THEIR LIVES IN THE WORLD WAR/ 1939–1945

Sources

Websites
Imperial War Museum War Memorials Register Online, accessed 2 April 2020 from https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/4810
Photograph from geograph, accessed 2 April 2020 from https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3603767
Photograph from geograph, accessed 2 April 2020 from https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3603774
Photograph from geograph, accessed 2 April 2020 from https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3603776
Other
Article in The Diss Express, Friday 26 March 1920: 'Palgrave. Dedication of Memorial Cross'.

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].