Burgh War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1470270
Date first listed:
29-May-2020
Statutory Address:
Junction of B1079 and Drabbs Lane, Near to St Boltolphs Church, Burgh, Suffolk, IP13 6QB

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1470270.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 04-Aug-2021 at 22:40:09.

Location

Statutory Address:
Junction of B1079 and Drabbs Lane, Near to St Boltolphs Church, Burgh, Suffolk, IP13 6QB

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
East Suffolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Burgh
National Grid Reference:
TM2239752241

Summary

A First World War memorial dating to 1919, with additions following the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

Burgh War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Architectural Interest:

* as a good example of a stone Celtic cross with relief-carved decoration.

Historic Interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impacts of world events on this community, and the sacrifices it made in the conflicts of the C20

Group value:

* with the Grade II* listed Church of St Botolph.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead: therefore the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Burgh as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the five members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War. The names of the three parishioners who fell during the Second World War were subsequently added to the memorial.

The memorial is located on the north side of the junction of Drabbs Lane with the B1079 road, around 40m south-east of the Grade II* listed Church of St Botloph. The memorial was unveiled on 28 September 1919 by Revd Canon J W B Page. The stonemason was Mr A C Stephenson. 

Details

A First World War memorial dating to 1919, with additions following the Second World War.

MATERIALS: the memorial is constructed of granite.

DESCRIPTION: the memorial is a 2.1m tall Celtic cross, decorated with relief-carved knotwork. It stands on a tapered four-sided plinth with square base beneath. An inscription on the south face of the plinth reads: TO THE GLORY OF GOD/ AND IN LOVING MEMORY OF/ (FIVE NAMES)/ BEING MEN OF BURGH WHO FELL IN/ THE WORLD'S GREAT WAR 1914-1919/ GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN THAN THIS/ THAT A MAN LAY DOWN HIS LIFE FOR HIS FRIENDS/

Below this on the chamfered top to the base an inscription has been added reading: 1939-1945 LEST WE FORGET/

Below that on the base: (THREE NAMES)

On the west face another inscription reads: 1914-1919/ LET US NEVER FORGET THAT/ EVERY MAN WHO SERVED IN/ THE GREAT WAR IS DESERVING/ OF OUR GRATITUDE/ ON THE BURGH ROLL OF HONOUR/ IN OUR CHURCH IS A LIST OF 49/ WHO SO SERVED

On the east face: LEST WE FORGET

On the north face: 1939-1945/ (THREE NAMES)

Sources

Websites
Imperial War Museums War Memorials Register online, accessed 7 April 2020 from https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/5448
Roll of Honour website, accessed 7 April 2020 from http://www.roll-of-honour.com/Suffolk/Burgh.html

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].