War Memorial at Stowupland, Suffolk

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1470321
Date first listed:
10-Jun-2020
Statutory Address:
Stowupland War Memorial, Village Cemetery, Church Road (A1120) , Stowupland, Suffolk, IP14 4BQ

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1470321.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Jul-2021 at 10:21:56.

Location

Statutory Address:
Stowupland War Memorial, Village Cemetery, Church Road (A1120) , Stowupland, Suffolk, IP14 4BQ

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Mid Suffolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Stowupland
National Grid Reference:
TM0716259903

Summary

A First World War memorial dating to around 1920, altered after the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

The Stowupland War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Architectural interest:

*     as a good example of a carved stone Celtic cross

Historic interest:

*     as an eloquent witness to the tragic impacts of world events on this community, and the sacrifices it made in the conflicts of the C20.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead: therefore the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at the village cemetery in Stowupland as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the 37 members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War. The names of the 10 parishioners who fell during the Second World War were added subsequently. A separate memorial plaque with names of the fallen from both wars is located within Holy Trinity Church, Stowupland.

The memorial cross stands at the south end of the central path through the cemetery. This is a very prominent position, visible from the cemetery gates on Church Road. The cross cost £350 and was unveiled on 24 October 1920 by Lieutenant Colonel C P Beevor of the 6th Battalion, Suffolk Regiment.

Details

A First World War memorial dating to around 1920, altered after the Second World War.

MATERIALS: the memorial is made of granite.

DESCRIPTION: the memorial is a 4m high Celtic cross with an elongated shaft. It stands on a tapered four-sided plinth. The cross has raised edges and a central round boss. The plinth rests on a square base with a bevelled top edge. The base stands on two rough-hewn square steps. The main inscription on the north-west face of the plinth reads: TO THE/ GLORY OF GOD/ AND IN MEMORY OF/ THE MEN OF THIS PARISH/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES/ FOR THEIR COUNTRY/ 1914-1918. The names of the 37 fallen parishioners are listed on the other three faces of the plinth. On the north-western bevelled top edge of the base is the additional inscription ‘1939 – 1945’. Below that on the main face of the base are the 10 names of those who fell in the Second World War. A rectangular stone vase on the bottom step bears the inscription: IN MEMORIAM.

Sources

Websites
Imperial War Museums War Memorials Register online, accessed 15 April 2020 from https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/4855
Roll of Honour website, accessed 15 April 2020 from http://www.roll-of-honour.com/Suffolk/Stowupland.html

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].