Lamp post in front of 8 Churton Place

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1470428
Date first listed:
24-Jun-2020
Location Description:
Statutory Address:
8 Churton Place, Pimlico, London, SW1V 2LN

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1470428.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2021 at 19:49:12.

Location

Statutory Address:
8 Churton Place, Pimlico, London, SW1V 2LN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Location Description:
County:
Greater London Authority
District:
City of Westminster (London Borough)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
TQ2927378644

Summary

A gas street lamp, produced by Z D Berry & Son, probably installed in Churton Place in the 1880s.

Reasons for Designation

The lamp post in front of 8 Churton Place, dating from the 1880s, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Architectural interest: * a good quality example of a popular design of gas lantern with a subtly enriched lamp standard; * high level of survival of original features such as the twin ladder stands and the manufacturer’s mark.

Historic interest: * although gas lamps were once a common feature of the street scene, original examples are increasingly rare.

Group value: * the lamp post has a strong functional relationship and group value with the Unlisted Buildings of Merit in Churton Place, and with those buildings makes a positive contribution to the street it illuminates.

History

Gas street lighting first appeared in London on Pall Mall in 1807. The expansion of the railways coinciding with the development of urban gas works in the 1840s facilitated the proliferation of cast iron gas lamp posts across the capital in the mid C19. Electric street lighting began to be developed in the late C19 but gas street lamps continued to be used until the mid C20.

Master Builder Thomas Cubitt (1788-1855) constructed extensive terraces of stucco-fronted housing in Pimlico from 1835 onwards. Churton Place itself, the only true close of Cubitt’s developments in Pimlico, was not constructed until 1851-2, by which time Cubitt had lost interest in directly overseeing building work in Pimlico as he was occupied by work on Osborne House on the Isle of Wight. The terraces of Churton Place were probably built by the elder George Dines based on standard designs by architect Lewis Cubitt (1799-1883), brother of Thomas Cubitt.

Churton Place is described as being badly lit until the 1880s, which is when the gas street lamp was probably installed. The lamp appears to have been the sole source of light in the close ever since.

The lamp standard was produced by the local firm, Z D Berry & Son. Zephaniah Deacon Berry (1816-1880) was a gas engineer and ironmonger based at the Albion Works in Pimlico. His son, Zephaniah Augustine Berry, continued the family business until his own death in 1903. The company produced a variety of cast iron street furniture and lighting equipment and provided gas lighting for many public buildings such as the Grand Theatre, Islington in 1883.

The gas burner within the lantern is likely a later replacement as the original would probably have had a curved gas mantle. It is possible that the glazing panels have been replaced. There are no other signs of alteration.

Details

A gas street lamp, produced by Z D Berry & Son, probably installed in Churton Place in the 1880s.

MATERIALS Cast iron lamp standard painted black; lantern with cast and wrought iron components also painted black and curved, tapered glazing panels.

DESCRIPTION The lamp standard consists of a slender tapered shaft with an octagonal section and laurel ornamentation on the base and neck, set on an octagonal pedestal with moulded shoulders.

The front face of the pedestal bears the following text in relief: Z. D. BERRY & SON/ THE ALBION WORKS/ PIMLICO WESTMINSTER. Above this an oval panel, also in relief, bears a serial number: 6199.

A pair of iron ladder stands project horizontally from the top of the lamp standard. Above these, a set of four swan-neck brackets support a circular Grosvenor style lantern with tapered and curved glazing panels set in a cast iron frame. The lantern is surmounted by a circular, decorative, perforated metal crest and an ogee-shaped chimney finial.

There are some signs of corrosion where the collar and ladder stands connect to the top of the lamp standard, but otherwise the lamp is in generally good condition.

Sources

Websites
Grace's Guide, 'Z. D. Berry', accessed 27 April 2020 from https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Z._D._Berry
J Taylor, 'Georgian and Victorian Street Lighting', The Building Conservation Directory (2015), accessed 27 April 2020 from https://www.buildingconservation.com/articles/street-lighting/street-lighting.htm
London Remembers, 'Z. A. Berry', accessed 27 April 2020 from https://www.londonremembers.com/subjects/z-a-berry .
Science Museum Collection Online, accessed 27 April 2020 from https://collection.sciencemuseumgroup.org.uk/objects/co8407881/grosvenor-or-london-circular-gas-lamp
Other
William Carey, A Place in Pimlico - the Creation of Churton Place 1851 - 1863 (1988)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].