Worlington War Memorial


Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:
Freckenham Road, Junction with The Street and Church Lane, Worlington, Suffolk, IP28 8RU


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1470610.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Jan-2021 at 18:38:46.


Statutory Address:
Freckenham Road, Junction with The Street and Church Lane, Worlington, Suffolk, IP28 8RU

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

West Suffolk (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:


A First World War memorial unveiled in 1920, with additions made before and after the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

Worlington War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Architectural interest:

* as a well-executed memorial in the form of an obelisk;

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.


The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead: therefore the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

One such memorial was raised at Worlington as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War. The memorial was erected by H G Neville and Sons and was unveiled on Thursday 4 March 1920 by Major-General the Honourable J E Lindley. The coping stones around the memorial were added in around 1933. The names of the two parishioners who lost their lives during the Second World War were subsequently added to the memorial.


A First World War memorial unveiled in 1920, with additions made before and after the Second World War.

MATERIALS AND PLAN: the memorial is square on plan and is constructed of white marble.

DESCRIPTION: the memorial stands on a small triangular green at the Junction of Freckenham Road, The Street and Church Lane, about 200m south of the Church of All Saints (Grade I).

The memorial is approximately 3.2m tall and is composed of an obelisk with a chamfered, three-tiered pedestal set on a three-stepped concrete plinth. The memorial stands within a square enclosure bounded by hoop and spear iron railings set on concrete coping.

The main inscription is incised on the east face of the upper tier of the pedestal and reads: IN ABIDING MEMORY/ OF THE MEN OF/ THIS VILLAGE,/ WHO SERVED IN THE/ GREAT WAR,/ 1914-1919./ OUR GLORIOUS DEAD:.

The names of the twelve men from the parish who lost their lives are incised on the east face of the middle and lower tier. The names of thirty-three men who served are written on the north and south faces of the plinth.

The west face of the pedestal is inscribed with the dates, 1939-1945, and the names of the two parishioners who lost their lives in the Second World War are engraved below.


Imperial War Museum War Memorials Register, Ref :4596 , accessed 2 August 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/4596
War Memorials Online database, ref WMO136312, accessed 2 August 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/136312/
‘Freckenham’, Bury Free Press,11 November 1933.


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].