Length of wall incorporating the Bainbrigg Stones

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1471164
Date first listed:
02-Oct-2020
Statutory Address:
Chapel Street, Appleby-in-Westmorland, Cumbria, CA16 6QR

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1471164.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Jul-2021 at 13:06:34.

Location

Statutory Address:
Chapel Street, Appleby-in-Westmorland, Cumbria, CA16 6QR

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cumbria
District:
Eden (District Authority)
Parish:
Appleby-in-Westmorland
National Grid Reference:
NY6822820399

Summary

Stone wall incorporating a C16 collection of inscribed stones.

Reasons for Designation

This stone wall of late-C19 date incorporating part of a late-C16 collection of inscribed stones, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Architectural interest:

* constructed of local red-sandstone, it was designed to preserve and display part of a late-C16 collection of stones by a notable C16 antiquarian.

Historic interest:

* for its historic association with Reginald Bainbrigg, a late-C16 antiquarian of national importance; * the collection of inscribed stones provides insight into the nature of C16 antiquarianism and has the potential to contribute to our knowledge of Hadrian’s Wall as they include an original Roman altar piece, and copies of other Roman inscriptions.

Group value:

* it also benefits from a spatial group value with numerous other listed buildings in the vicinity including a late-C18 building thought to have served as a boarding house to the grammar school.

History

Reginald Bainbrigg (about 1545-1613) scholar and antiquarian, was headmaster of the grammar school at Appleby. He was one of the first to record the remains along Hadrian’s Wall, and his work brought him into contact with William Camden and other notable contemporary scholars. Bainbrigg recorded numerous inscribed Roman stones, some of which Camden printed in the 1607 edition of Britannia. It is understood that Bainbrigg took some Roman inscriptions back to Appleby, made copies of others and even erected contemporary inscriptions in Latin. It is understood that most of his collection was housed in his school house garden at the grammar school. In 1887 the school moved to a new site, and we understand that the stones were moved from the grammar school and incorporated into a stone wall on the opposite side of Chapel Street known as the Broadclose wall. The stones are fully described in a chapter of Archaeology of the Roman Empire in 2001.

Details

Stone wall incorporating a C16 collection of inscribed stones.

DESCRIPTION: a length of low red sandstone wall standing about six courses high with flat coping stones, forming the boundary between a sports field and Chapel Street. The wall incorporates some of Reginald Bainbrigg’s late-C16 collection of inscribed stones. There are 16 stones in total including four identified as late-C16 copies of Roman inscriptions (Roman Inscriptions of Britain (RIB): 998; RIB 2285; RIB 1202 and one now lost) and six late-C16 inscriptions made for Bainbrigg in the Roman style. Two others are considered to be copies of Roman stones but have no inscriptions. One is generally accepted to be an original altar from Whellep Castle, Kirby Thore (RIB 759) with a dedication to Belatucadrus. The remaining three stones are of indeterminate origin.

Sources

Books and journals
Collingwood, R J, Wright, R P, Roman Inscriptions of Britain, Volume 1 The Inscriptions on Stone, (1956)
Edwards, B , 'Reginald Bainbrigg, schlemaister, and his stones' in Higham, N J, Archaeology of the Roman Empire, (2001), 25-34
Websites
Notes on Reginald Bainbrigg of Appleby by F Haverfield TCWAA 2nd series 11, 1911 343-78, accessed 08-07-2020 from https://archaeologydataservice.ac.uk/archiveDS/archiveDownload?t=arch-2055-1/dissemination/pdf/Article_Level_Pdf/tcwaas/002/1911/vol11/tcwaas_002_1911_vol11_0023.pdf
ODNB entry for Reginald Bainbrigg by Angus J L Winchester, accessed 08-07-2020 from https://doi.org/10.1093/ref:odnb/1084

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].