Milestone, Chapel Haddlesey (No.18, Doncaster and Selby Turnpike)

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1471605
Date first listed:
05-Nov-2020
Location Description:
Milestone on western verge of A19, about 186 metres north-east of Chapel Haddlesey crossroads.

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1471605.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2021 at 15:07:52.

Location

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Location Description:
Milestone on western verge of A19, about 186 metres north-east of Chapel Haddlesey crossroads.
County:
North Yorkshire
District:
Selby (District Authority)
Parish:
Chapel Haddlesey
National Grid Reference:
SE5805826419

Summary

Milestone, 1833-1834, erected for the Doncaster and Selby Turnpike Trust.

Reasons for Designation

This milestone, erected around 1833 to 1834 is recommended for listing at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Architectural interest: * a classically-inspired, rectangular section limestone pillar, with a gabled head that exhibits good quality tooling; * pre-dating 1850, it belongs to a period when structures that retain a significant proportion of their original fabric are considered to be of special interest; * the inscribed lettering is legible, with valid distances as it stands in its original position.

Historic interest: * a relatively rare example of pre-1850 milestone; * the milestone is illustrative of a late-Georgian road development that was opened in 1834, to improve transport links between Doncaster and Selby.

Group value: * it benefits from a strong spatial and functional group value with other contemporary milestones and structures along the route of the former Doncaster and Selby Turnpike.

History

The Doncaster and Selby Turnpike Trust was established by a statute enacted on 6 June 1832 and it was responsible for creating a 19 mile long road between the two towns, following a low-lying route that crossed the flood plains of the River Don and the River Aire. The turnpike opened in 1834 and was controlled by four toll gates and the route was marked by 18 milestones numbered 15 to 32 southwards from Brayton to Bentley, as shown on the first edition one-inch Ordnance Survey map (1841). The milestone at Chapel Haddlesey is number 18 in the sequence and remains in its original location. The milestones are all of the same basic design and a number are listed at Grade II: Brayton (National Heritage List for England (NHLE) 1365809); Burn (NHLE 1296820); Kellington (NHLE 1430182), Owston (NHLE 1151476); Toll Bar Bentley (NHLE 1151491), and Bentley (NHLE 1191834). In addition, other structures built by the Trust are also listed at Grade II including: Causeway, Bentley (NHLE 1151490), Went and Ings Dike Bridges (NHLE 1148365 and 1192231), and Toll Bar Cottage, Norton Common (NHLE 1151466).

Details

Milestone, 1833-1834, erected for the Doncaster and Selby Turnpike Trust.

MATERIALS: Magnesian limestone.

DESCRIPTION: a limestone pillar with a rectangular section and a gabled head. The front has an ashlar surface inscribed: DONCASTER / 15 MILES/ ASKERN 8½ / SELBY 4½ / York 19, above a chamfered plinth, with horizontal furrowed surfaces. The top edge of the plinth is lower to the front than at the sides. Each side has a sunken rectangular panel, as if it had been intended to receive a metal plate, although there is no evidence to indicate they were ever fitted. The rear of the left-hand panel has a raised vertical edge. The rear of the stone is blank and is exposed in the sloping bank of the roadside ditch.

Sources

Other
Papers of the Doncaster and Selby Turnpike Trust (Doncaster Archives and Local Studies Centre DX/BAX/61027-61028)
Plan of the intended turnpike road from Doncaster to Selby, via Askern, by J Alexander, 1830 (West Yorkshire Archives Service A000006/59/1/2/166)
Turnpike Act, 6 June 1832 (Doncaster Archives and Local Studies Centre DD/DC/N1/1/5

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].