Chapel at Cromer Old Cemetery

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1471821
Date first listed:
18-Aug-2020
Statutory Address:
Holt Road, Cromer, Norfolk, NR27 9EB

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1471821.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Jul-2021 at 11:18:53.

Location

Statutory Address:
Holt Road, Cromer, Norfolk, NR27 9EB

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
North Norfolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Cromer
National Grid Reference:
TG2119841959

Summary

Cemetery chapel built 1860-1861.

Reasons for Designation

The Chapel at Cromer Old Cemetery is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Architectural interest:

* this is a finely detailed chapel with its knapped flint and flint galleting to the exterior, and it retains its interior with box pews and pulpit.

Group value: * it has group value with four listed headstones in the cemetery.

History

The land for Cromer Cemetery was donated by B B Cabell of Cromer Hall in 1860. There was originally a private path between the cemetery and the hall. A quarter of the cemetery was reserved for dissenters, the rest was consecrated for Anglicans. The cemetery closed to burials in 1908.

Details

Cemetery chapel, disused. 1860-1861.

Finely coursed knapped flint with flint galletting and red brick dressings. Slate roof with brick coped gables and kneelers and terracotta finials. Gothic style with buttresses and angle buttresses with set-offs. Single storey. Sides have opposing double doors at west end then two single-light windows separated by buttresses. Ends have three-light windows with loopholes above. All windows at present boarded (2004).

INTERIOR. This retains box pews with fielded panels. The pews are arranged either side of the chapel in collegiate style with the pulpit linking them across the east end. This has Gothic detailing to the front panels. There is a further pew across the whole of the west end. Both end windows retain diamond leaded-light windows finely painted with decorative crosses and which also have coloured glass borders. Similar glazing survives in part in the side windows. A brass plaque at the west end records the gift by Benjamin Bond Cabell of the land for the cemetery and of the windows in 1860 and 1861. The roof is of curved braces to collars rising from stone corbels.

This is a finely detailed small cemetery chapel which has the unusual survival of the box pews and pulpit. It also forms a good group with the four listed headstones in the cemetery.

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].