Landford Wood Mission Hall

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1471898
Date first listed:
21-Oct-2020
Statutory Address:
Landford Wood, Salisbury, SP5 2ES

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1471898.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2021 at 00:43:10.

Location

Statutory Address:
Landford Wood, Salisbury, SP5 2ES

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Landford
National Park:
NEW FOREST
National Grid Reference:
SU2592121316

Summary

Mission hall, 1899.

Reasons for Designation

Landford Wood Mission Hall, 1899, is listed at Grade II, for the following principal reasons:

Architectural interest:

* a highly distinctive timber construction, where the deployment of materials and method of assembly are of considerable aesthetic appeal, combining rusticity, geometry and eclectic details; * a simple yet striking interior, with an unusual hammer beam roof structure of high-quality construction.

Historic interest:

* funded by the Scottish art collector and philanthropist Lady Ashburton, in response to the spiritual needs of the small settlement, and built on her land within the Melchet Court Estate.

Group value:

* standing within the boundary of the estate, the building has group value with the nearby Grade II-listed lodges and gates, and with Landford Wood House.

History

The Landford Wood Society was founded in 1889, and originally met at Landford Wood Farm. A dedicated hall was built ten years later, at the expense of, and on land belonging to, Louisa, Lady Ashburton of Melchet Court.

The hall, which cost £300, was designed by surveyors Rawlence and Squarey of Salisbury, and built by Reuben Moody of Landford. Built to accommodate 150, the hall was opened on 8 June 1899; a report in the Hampshire Advertiser County Newspaper describes the occasion, and praises the construction, noting the ‘airy bright appearance’ of the interior. Originally covered in shingles, the roof was replaced with clay tiles in the 1950s. A small extension has been added to the north gable end.

Melchet Court, rebuilt by Lady Ashburton in the 1860s, stands 1500m to the north-east, within extensive parkland, the boundary of which is adjacent to the mission hall. Ashburton was a Scottish art collector who devoted her later life to philanthropy, funding the construction of several buildings and structures with a Christian or social welfare function.

Details

Mission hall, 1899.

MATERIALS: a timber structure standing on a brick plinth with a tiled roof.

PLAN: the building is rectangular on plan, orientated north-south.

EXTERIOR: a single-storey building with a pitched roof, constructed in box framing with diagonal and vertical weatherboard nogging. Entrance is via a central porch on the south gable end, above which is a metal-framed tripartite casement window with multiple lights. The east and west elevations of the building have similar windows along their length, with textured glass admitting light yet inhibiting views. There is a door on the west side. Rafter feet project from the eaves, and there are two small pitched dormers with trefoil lights on either side of the roof. At the apex of the southern end is a cupola with a domed roof.

INTERIOR: a single space internally, open to the roof. It is clad in vertical matchboarding, with diagonal boarding to the roof. Collar trusses of Oregon pine have elliptical arched braces and moulded hammer-beams. At the north end of the hall is a low dais with a balustrade of moulded timber spindles and newels.

Sources

Websites
'Baring [née Stewart-Mackenzie], Louisa Caroline, Lady Ashburton, 1827-1903' Virginia Surtees, Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, 2004, accessed 03/09/2020 from https://www.oxforddnb.com/view/10.1093/ref:odnb/9780198614128.001.0001/odnb-9780198614128-e-50780?rskey=DeSvfi&result=7
Landford Village Design Statement (SPD), Landford Parish Council, accessed 11/08/2020 from https://www.newforestnpa.gov.uk/app/uploads/2018/01/Landford_VDS.pdf
'Landford Wood Mission Hall, Landford', Wilshire Community History, accessed 11/08/2020 from https://history.wiltshire.gov.uk/community/getchurch.php?id=718#:~:text=Landford%20Wood%20Mission%20Hall%2C%20Landford,the%20Superintendent%20was%20Mr%20C.
Other
‘Landford Wood Mission Hall’, The Hampshire Advertiser County Newspaper, 10 June 1899, 8

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].