K6 Telephone Kiosk

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1473847
Date first listed:
25-Jan-2021
Location Description:
Statutory Address:
The Green, Newnham, Gloucestershire, GL14 1AE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1473847.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Feb-2021 at 18:34:07.

Location

Statutory Address:
The Green, Newnham, Gloucestershire, GL14 1AE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Location Description:
County:
Gloucestershire
District:
Forest of Dean (District Authority)
Parish:
Newnham
National Grid Reference:
SO6898611541

Summary

K6 telephone kiosk, designed in 1935 by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott.

Reasons for Designation

The K6 telephone kiosk in Newnham is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Architectural interest:

* as an iconic example of industrial design, showing Sir Giles Gilbert Scott's adaptation of neoclassical forms for a modern technological function.

Historic interest:

* the K6 telephone kiosk was designed to celebrate the Silver Jubilee of King George V in 1935 by the eminent architect Sir Giles Gilbert Scott, further developing his successful K2 telephone kiosk design of 1924. Group value:

* for its contribution to the conservation area and its streetscape, and its strong visual relationship with Grade II-listed buildings of the Church of St Peter and its numerous listed monuments, Castle House and Victoria Hotel. It also stands in a prominent position by a scheduled medieval castle with Civil War defences that has extensive views over the Severn Vale, a landscape setting of note.

History

The K6 telephone kiosk is a milestone of C20 industrial design. The K6 was designed by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott in 1935 for the General Post Office, on the occasion of King George V's Silver Jubilee. The K6 was a development from his earlier highly successful K2 telephone kiosk design of 1924, of neoclassical inspiration. The K6 was more streamlined aesthetically, more compact and more cost effective to mass produce. Sir Giles Gilbert Scott (1880-1960) was one of the most important of modern British architects; his many celebrated commissions include the Anglican cathedral of Liverpool and Battersea Power Station. The K2 and K6 telephone kiosks can be said to represent a very thoughtful adaptation of architectural tradition to contemporary technological requirements. Well over 70,000 K6s were eventually produced. In the 1960s many were replaced with far plainer kiosk types. But many still remain, and continue to be an iconic feature on Britain's streetscapes.

The Newnham kiosk is thought to have been on its current site since the mid-C20 and is shown there on the Ordnance Survey map of 1973. In 2021 the kiosk is not in operational use.

Details

K6 telephone kiosk, designed in 1935 by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott.

DESCRIPTION: the K6 is a standardised design made of cast iron, painted red overall with long horizontal glazing to the door and sides, and with the crowns situated on the top panels being applied not perforated. There are rectangular white display signs, reading TELEPHONE beneath the shallow curved roof.

The kiosk is in good overall condition and survives well, although a glazing bar and a number of panes are missing. The telephone equipment has been removed.

It is located on the north side of The Green in the village of Newnham; adjacent to the Medieval Ringwork Castle and Associated Civil War earthwork defence (Scheduled Monument), and overlooking the Severn Vale. It is in close proximity to The Castle House (Grade II), the Church of St Peter (Grade II), and numerous Grade II listed monuments in the churchyard. The telephone kiosk has a strong visual relationship with these listed buildings, and the Scheduled Monument, collectively.

Sources

None.

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].